To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made for disabled persons, covered by the Americans With Disabilities Act, in accordance with its requirements.
1) Teaches assigned courses in Emergency Medical Services as scheduled in accordance with current department-approved course descriptions, course outlines, syllabi, and procedures.
2) Assists, as appropriate, in the maintenance of instructional materials and laboratory facilities.
3) Assists in the maintenance of course descriptions, course outlines, and syllabi. Develops and updates course descriptions etc routinely based on industry changes or trends, advisory committee suggestions, and assessment results.
4) Employs appropriate assessment techniques to measure student performance in achieving course goals and objectives. Communicates progress in the course to students in a timely manner. Determines and submits students' grades in accordance with established college policies and procedures.
5) Keeps accurate and appropriate records in accordance with the Faculty Handbook and college and departmental policies and procedures.
6) Aids the college with goals of student success and retention. Assists in the identification of students with academic or other needs, and responds by utilizing appropriate resources.
7) May Advise potential or current students within the discipline.
8) Maintains posted departmental hours in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, and departmental and college policies and procedures.
9) Ensures classroom lectures contain essential curricular components; have appropriate content and pedagogy; and reflect current trends.
10) Maintains a personal portfolio for tenure and promotion review and other career-related needs.
11) Employs student, administrative and self-appraisals to establish goals and objectives for professional development, and participates in professional development activities.
12) Provides feedback, as appropriate, regarding the general operations of the department, the division, and the college.
13) Attends faculty meetings as called by the President, Senior Vice President, Dean or Department Chairperson; and participates, as appropriate, on departmental, divisional and college committees.
14) Participates, as appropriate, in additional duties and responsibilities based upon the expertise of the Instructor and the needs of the department, division, or college.
15) Works assigned schedule, exhibits regular and predictable attendance and works overtime as required meeting workload demands. Performs other related duties as required.
An appropriate combination of education, training, course work and experience may qualify an applicant to demonstrate required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Minimum qualifications for this position are: Associate Degree in a Health Related Field (e.g. Nursing, EMS, Public Safety Management, etc.), current certification as Ohio EMS Instructor at the Paramedic level required. Minimum 5 years documented patient care experience in emergency care or critical care required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Skill In: Providing quality instruction (developmental, multicultural, applied learning) and support to a diverse student body.
Learning technologies and use of multi-media technology to enhance student learning. Instructional planning and presentation. Incorporating critical thinking, effective communication, and other general education outcomes in course content
Ability to: Perform student learning outcomes assessments.
Demonstrate teaching strategies that focus on student- centered learning. Demonstrate a commitment to improving student learning through innovative strategies that aid student success and retention and reflect industry trends.
Knowledge of: On-line instruction techniques and methods;
Microsoft Office; Blackboard; and Internet research.
Adapt to multi-campus organizational work environments, as well as changes in the discipline.
Bachelor's degree or higher in a health related field. Current BLS, ACLS, ITLS Instructor Certification. Experience with State and/or National EMS accreditation process.
State Motor Vehicle Operator's License or demonstrable ability to gain access to worksite(s).
Columbus State Community College - 16 months ago