Are you ready to explore new challenges?
At Marriott we can make it happen – with opportunities for building new skills, co-workers who share your enthusiasm and clear career paths that offer experience for growth and promotion. Whether you are a seasoned hospitality professional or just beginning to plan your career, we invite you to discover Marriott.
The MidAtlantic Regl Office, located at Gaithersburg,Maryland is currently hiring for a DIRECTOR, CLUSTER ENGINEERING (FS & SS/ES),MARYLAND
The Director of Cluster Engineering II provides strategic business leadership tactical direction and support to Full Service and CFRST GM’s (and their Engineers). The Director of Cluster Engineering II supports the Sr. Regional Director of Engineering, VP’s of Engineering and the RD’s throughout the managed CFRST brands in the cluster to ensure effective delivery of results, managed execution of projects and to identify talent in the region. Position oversees the development and implementation of Engineering strategies and ensures implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. As strategic business leader, develops and implements discipline wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property associates. The Director of Cluster Engineering II uses Full Service and CFRST engineering knowledge, skills and diverse sources of information to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction and to maximize the financial performance for managed units.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Developing and Implementing Cluster Engineering Strategies and Solutions
Leading Engineering Operations
- Conducts long range planning and contributes to strategic thinking regarding location Engineering needs.
- Develops an engineering operating strategy that is aligned with the category’s business strategy and leads its execution
- Champions change. Ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
- Promotes organizational alignment by ensuring that the regional business direction and strategies are understood and consistently executed in CFRST within the Cluster Engineering Manager’s area of responsibility.
- Works with Regional Engineers to develop talent and create engineering strategy
- Assists Engineers create actions plans to improve EIWO and Problem Experienced GSS scores.
- Identifies key drivers of business success and keeps team focused on the critical few to achieve results; ensures integration of departmental goals in game plans
- Researches and analyses new engineering products on the market. Introduces ideas to leadership team to enable property to remain competitive.
- Works with indirect reports to review business in house and troubleshoot potential challenges/conflicts. Encourages calculated risk-taking to overcome obstacles and deliver excellent service
- Develops a long term plan for preventative maintenance and asset protection; oversees execution of plan.
Maintaining Multiple Property Engineering Standards
- Provides customer service, financial direction and technical guidance to CFRST GM’s and FS Directors of Engineering regarding HLP, R&M, CapEx, Engineering Operations and staffing
- Ensures the implementation and sustainability of key engineering processes, procedures and standards to drive the operational performance for units within the Cluster Engineering Manager’s area of responsibility.
- Anticipates and quickly seize opportunities to improve performance of units within the cluster
- Coordinates projects from conception to completion
- Oversees scheduled inspections of CFRST cluster properties
- Advises CFRST cluster properties during major CAPEX projects, renovations and openings
- Acts as a technical resource for the hotels regarding correct Preventative, Routine and Repair Maintenance procedures and techniques.
- Directs and oversees technical troubleshooting and repair of major building systems as needed.
- Provides Engineers with the resources and guidance on proper tool and equipment inventory and Maintenance Shop organization.
- Shares information and best practices with Engineers.
- Ensures that regular, ongoing communication is happening in all areas of engineering. Continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results.
- Develops project plans in accordance with renovation or new construction needs. Contacts contractors for bids, supervises construction to ensure timely completion of projects within budgetary guidelines.
- Directs appropriate maintenance to ensure on-going appreciation of the asset
- Manages and controls heat, light and power and recommends current best methods for energy conservation and economical facility operations.
- Oversees and directs the maintenance of grounds, guestrooms, public space, restaurants, hotel vehicles and recreational facilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Assists with special projects as needed.
Managing Budgets and Profitability
- Inspects engineering operations and procedures to ensure compliance with standard operating procedures.
- Monitors hotel environment. Reviews public space walk-through results and ensures buildings are well maintained and operational areas have an atmosphere that meets or exceeds guest expectations
- Manages the physical plant including equipment, refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment and electrical systems in accordance with category’s Standard Operating procedures.
- Participates in developing specifications and requirements for service contracts and administers such contracts to support building needs.
- Assists in preparation of reports required by state agencies for water consumption, wastewater discharge and boiler emissions.
- Ensures compliance with state, local and federal regulations.
- Reviews and gives input on the hotel ADA plan on an annual basis.
- Oversees maintenance of property life safety systems (fire fighting equipment, sprinkler systems and alarm systems)
- Performs engineering asset inspections as assigned
Managing Above Property and Stakeholder Relations
- Advises or supports CFRST General Managers in the creation and evaluation of CAPEX budgets
- Monitors Engineering budget.
- Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Engineering is performing against budget. Works with engineering and GM to determine areas of concern and develops strategies to improve the department’s financial performance.
- Coaches and supports engineering team to effectively manage controllable expenses such as wages, heat, light and power, water consumption, tools and equipment, groundskeeping supplies, uniforms, vendors, service agreements, inventory, etc. Focuses on maintaining profit margins without compromising guest or associate satisfaction.
- Identifies opportunities to increase profits and create value by challenging existing processes, encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
- Ensures all technology relative to procurement is implemented.
- Makes recommendations for CAPEX funding of building projects and plant equipment and renovations in accordance with category business strategy.
- Assists Hotels in identifying energy conservation opportunities and in achieving a reduction in utility consumption.
- Participates in negotiating contracts with service vendors and other contractors in accordance with SOPs (e.g., Avendra).
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Works collaboratively with other hotels, clusters and lodging brands to leverage resources, assets and purchases.
- Provides meaning or context to the Engineering operational and budget results; demonstrates an understanding of owner priorities.
- Proactively addresses potential areas of concern and proposes solutions to owners.
- Contributes to decisions concerning capital improvements to the facility.
- Acts as the subject matter expert on building infrastructure and building systems issues.
- Is knowledgeable of all engineering related management contract requirements and ensures compliance with contract and reporting requirements.
Managing Human Resources Activities
- Develops and leads the execution of the category’s service initiatives in the Engineering department.
- Sets expectations and holds engineering team accountable for demonstrating desired service behaviors. Ensures guests needs are met or exceeded from beginning to end of hotel stay.
- Empowers associates to provide excellent guest service. Establishes guidelines so associates understand expectations and parameters. Ensures associates receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Observes service behaviors of associates and provides feedback to individuals and/or managers; continuously focuses on improving service performance.
- Reviews guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement. Reviews findings with engineering team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken; shares plans with GM.
- Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of departmental meetings with an emphasis on creating a distinctive guest experience and continually improving results.
- Builds positive relationships with external customers such as city building/zoning department, fire prevention bureau and vendors.
- Guides GM in hiring engineering team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
- Ensures new hires participate in the Engineering orientation program and receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job. Ensures team members are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
- Coordinate engineering cluster training
- Provides training and guidance on correct and effective Guest Room GCPM process.
- Organizes and directs relief efforts during emergency situations for CFRST
- Provides training to new hire and existing engineering team members.
- Participates in appropriate development plans and develops team members based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with GM’s and entire engineering team.
- Ensures that regular on-going communication takes place throughout the engineering operation to communicate daily operations activities, set expectations and create awareness of business objectives.
- Utilizes associate feedback and an “open door” policy to identify and address associate problems or concerns in a timely manner. Ensures associates are treated fairly and equitably; brings issues to the attention of Human Resources as necessary.
- Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members; ensures recognition occurs in all areas.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the engineering and maintenance or related professional area; technical training in HVAC-R/Electrical/Plumbing.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Building and Construction, Engineering, Mechanics, or related major; 4 years experience in the engineering and maintenance or related professional area; technical training in HVAC-R/Electrical/Plumbing.
- Must have appropriate technical licenses and a valid driver’s license.
- SMA, CEOE, FMA preferred
- Minimum 5+ years experience in engineering leadership position.
- Must be knowledgeable in operations of Full Service and CFRST brands.
- DOE or Cluster Engineering Manager experience Required.
.Begin your journey: www.marriott.com/careers
- Classification of Unit FS & CFRST
- Number of Direct Reports: 4
- Titles of Direct Reports: Cluster Engineer/Technician
- Control or Influence of Budget (Y or N) Yes
To apply for this job, please go to www.marriott.com/careers and click on the "Apply Now". Then under "Management Positions Worldwide", enter Job Opening number “12000Z4M" . The job is listed as “Director, Cluster Engineering (FS & SS/ES), Maryland". If you are interested in applying, you will need to register on the site and create a "User Name" and “Password”. Applications are available in French and Spanish.
Marriott is consistently recognized as an employer of choice by Working Mother, DiversityInc., and LatinaStyle magazine among others. FORTUNE magazine recognized Marriott as one of its “100 Best Companies to Work For”, for the twelfth consecutive year.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.
ENGINEERING.com - 9 months ago