The Associate Customer Engineer learns to perform preventative and remedial maintenance, installations, upgrades and implementations of EMC products at a variety of customer locations and environments. Works with an assigned mentor, team members, customers and direct managers to gain a full understanding of EMC products, culture and requirements to achieve high customer satisfaction. Adheres to administrative policies and escalation procedures. Typically, the Global Services Associate Program (GSAP) hires candidates locally and trains the Associate. Associates participate in a structured training program that combines intensive classroom, lab, assessment and on-the-job mentored experience. For technical associates, training includes hands-on work with EMC products and platforms, operating systems and storage infrastructure tools. Associates will also receive the foundation necessary to achieve technical certifications (EMC and Non-EMC).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Learns to competently perform the major categories of work for this role. Gains exposure to proper procedures, communication protocol, and required case management, customer & time reporting systems, etc.
2. Performs pro-active and corrective maintenance according to established procedures. Level of supervision required is expected to decrease over 6-12 months. Adheres to proper escalation procedures. Refines and develops troubleshooting skills.
3. Learn to execute the basics of an install cycle for EMC hardware or software. Builds experience with hardware-related custom integration of EMC products at the customer site. This may include implementation, integration and product orientation for the customer. Implementation experience includes learning to create BIN file documentation and writing non-complex BIN files.
4. Responsible for part replacements as directed. This includes the timely and accurate submission of all associated documentation as well as part return within 24 hours of the event. Submits accurate documentation at the completion of an event.
5. Takes responsibility for customer satisfaction when dispatched to customer site by adhering to the following: prompt onsite arrival time, technical competencies, knowledge of customer environment, professionalism, periodic visits as needed
6. Maintains assigned inventory and test equipment.
7. Perform other duties as required and directed by Senior Customer Engineers and Management.
8. Works to regularly advance professional skills and capabilities in order to keep pace with technology and the customer environment. Stays current with development plans, participating in available forms of training, education and hands-on experience.
9. Is disciplined and timely in keeping up with administrative tasks, ensuring accurate updates to relevant systems, databases, time-reporting and filing activity, trip and/or site reports.
Skills (Technical and Soft Skills):
Education Required : Associates degree in technical discipline or equivalent. EMC Proven Professional Storage Technology Foundation certification.
- Basic OS, Networking and/or IT knowledge.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Clear/professional communications. Listens effectively, questions appropriately and conveys information clearly.
- Displays a strong customer mindset, advocating for the customer within EMC and reinforcing EMC's value to the customer.
- Operates as a team player. Collaborates well cross-functionally.
- Is self-managing and takes ownership
- Attends to the details and follows-through on procedures.
- Conveys a professional demeanor
- Invests the time to master new technologies/products as needed.
Experience Required: At least 0-2 years electronics/IT/IS knowledge or equivalent technical experience. Unix, Linux or Windows experience / knowledge plus TCP/IP networking experience preferred.
Move/lift equipment (e.g., lift kit) weighing up to 25 lbs. to a height of up to 5 feet
- May be required to work overtime hours
- May be required to work off-shift hours
- Must have a valid driver's license and reliable automobile
- Must carry a mobile communication device
- Lifting requirement:
- Move/lift equipment (e.g., batteries to be placed onto the lift kit) weighing up to 65 lbs. to a height of up to 2 feet