Reporting to the Administrator for the Division of Substance Abuse (DSA) and to the Research Administrator within the Department of Psychiatry, the Assistant Administrator will assist with managing the division of 50+ research faculty. Manage the HR function for the unit from hiring to termination of staff and postdocs including liaising with OISS on the VISA applications. Integrate the unit with the central Psychiatry business office. Manage the administrative, financial and business operations of an assigned portfolio of research faculty within the division. Assist in managing DSA business office staff and manage the unit in the absence of the DSA Administrator. |
Department URL Address:
Click here for more information
1. Performs a variety of activities related to managing the daily operations of a unit including human resources planning, information technology, financial reporting, facility planning, research support, and compliance among other functions for a unit.
2. Administers the administrative and fiscal activities of the assigned unit; serves as liaison between the assigned unit and other University administrative offices.
3. Assigns administrative support to various functions of the unit; monitors activities of staff to ensure timely completion of assigned work.
4. Prepares and monitors budgets, financial forecasts, and financial analyses and the actual vs. budgeted performance.
5. Plans the use of facilities in the assigned department including office space, work stations, equipment, technology needs, inventory, and office supplies.
6. Plans and facilitates training sessions for the department when new policies or practices are adopted.
7. Ensures compliance with University and federal health and safety regulations as they apply to the unit.
8. Initiates, plans and develops administrative policies for the assigned unit.
9. Contributes to long-range administrative planning for the assigned unit.
10. Implements University and departmental policies as they pertain to the administrative function of the unit.
11. Supervises and leads staff.
12. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Minimum requirement of Bachelor’s Degree in related field and three years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated financial management experience of atleast 3 years and a preference for fund accounting, non-profit experience or grants management experience.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated supervisory experience.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate at all levels both within and outside the university and connect the unit to other departments, to external contacts at federal, state and private funding/ grantor agencies and vendors.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated ability to interpret policies and regulations including the ability to identify and highlight critical terms and conditions.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to multi-task and manage a diverse portfolio in a dynamic and fast paced environment and to
operate independently, manage and prioritize work so as to meet sponsor and university deadlines.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Three or more years of grants management experience. One or more years of HR experience.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. Internal candidates may be subject to a motor vehicle or credit check for this position based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Additional Background or Health Screening Requirements:
Selected incumbent must have successful completion of a required health screening and/or TB test.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the...