Lowe's Summer Internship Program offers challenging assignments to undergraduate and graduate students, enhancing their understanding of the retail business world through valuable, hands-on experience with a FORTUNE 50 company. The summer internship program begins in June and concludes in mid-August.
Lowe’s Field Industrial Engineers operate as integral members of a Distribution Center’s (DC’s) management team, while also being part of a broader team of Engineers across the distribution network. Their primary role is to partner with DC management to drive facility productivity, accuracy, capacity and efficiency. Duties include daily management of engineered standards, reporting and production support. Broader responsibilities include project management, business analysis, budgeting support, facility layout, product flow and change management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and maintain multi-variable standards, including the performance of time studies, regularly scheduled standard validation, best-method development, documentation and training.
- Build understanding and gain “buy-in” of approved standards by DC personnel.
- Prepare and maintain documentation for each operation describing methods and procedures, engineering notes, engineering records (such as time study data), standards, and pay variable definitions.
- Produce various performance reports on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Meet weekly as part of the DC management team to keep apprised of issues and opportunities, lending the engineering perspective to guide the facility towards the most ideal and strategic course of action.
- Other responsibilities include: budgeting support, facility layout design, ergonomics, material handling equipment, process improvement, cost-benefit analysis, and capacity analysis.
The candidate must have the ability to assess and discuss the human and organizational impacts of major change on an existing operation and facilitate the exchange of ideas between engineering, management, and associates.
Candidate must be a student, currently enrolled in an accredited Bachelors level program to be eligible for an internship.
Industrial Engineering major preferred
Time study experience is preferred
3.0 or above GPA preferred
Good working knowledge of AutoCAD, Excel, and Access
Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus
Possible locations: North Vernon, IN; Pottsville, PA; Pittston, PA; Mount Vernon, TX; Valdosta, GA; Cheyenne, WY; Poinciana, FL; Perris, CA; Garysburg, NC; Statesville, NC; Findlay, OH; Plainfield, CT., Rockford, IL and Lebanon, OR.
With fiscal year 2011 sales of $50.2 billion, Lowe’s Companies, Inc. is a FORTUNE® 100 company that serves approximately 15 million customers a week at more than 1,745 home improvement stores in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s is the second-largest home improvement retailer in the world. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
No longer a low-profile company, Lowe's Companies has evolved from a regional hardware store operator into a nationwide chain of home...