The Assistant Chief Engineer is responsible for the overall management and operation of the mechanical, life/safety, electrical and plumbing operations for a commercial hi-rise office building and for the supervision of all engineers, building mechanics who are direct reports. The focus is on managing the Corrigo work orders, scheduling of preventive maintenance and tenant repair projects, as well as collaborating with the Chief Engineer to manage and schedule life safety testing and training. The Assistant Chief Engineer must exhibit outstanding client service and professionalism in all interactions with tenants and RMR staff. Teamwork and collaboration are critical to this position’s success.
- Train and supervise all engineers and building mechanics.
- Oversee the coordination of all technical service providers, including outside contractors and monitoring of quality control.
- Assist the Chief Engineer in preparing monthly reports.
- Review tenant construction drawings to ensure all building design requirements are met.
- Monitor staff efforts in the quality and timeliness of completing tenant work order requests.
- Conduct meetings with tenants regarding any concerns related to the building’s mechanical systems, tenant repair items or other issues, as required.
- Assist the Chief Engineer and building engineers in the implementation of a comprehensive life safety program, including tenant fire drills, system testing and regulatory compliance.
- Analyze energy usage and demand information and implement operating strategies to reduce costs.
- 5 years of direct experience in the management of mechanical, electrical and plumbing operations for commercial office buildings.
- Experience in all aspects of mechanical, electrical, life/safety and plumbing operations in commercial office buildings including: safety, code compliance and technology utilization.
- Experience with monitoring and implementing energy conservation measures in a wide variety of commercial properties.
- Familiarity with various regulations affecting building mechanical operations such as CFCs, indoor air quality, and building codes.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Must be team oriented and a problem solver.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage and control adverse situations with sophisticated tenants.
- Experience with computerized building management systems, preventative maintenance and work order systems.
- Experience related to the upgrading and/or replacement of major building systems and tenant construction improvements.
- Refrigeration CFC Certificate preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint is required.
- Ability to present complex data in order to facilitate analysis and decision-making.
Founded in 1986, Reit Management & Research LLC (RMR) is a privately held asset management company that manages one of the largest portfolios of publicly owned real estate in the United States with approximately $21.5 billion of assets under management, including more than 1,650 properties located in the 46 states, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico and Ontario, Canada. RMR has approximately 790 employees in its headquarters and regional offices located throughout the country. RMR manages CommonWealth REIT (NYSE: CWH), an office and industrial real estate investment trust, or REIT; Hospitality Properties Trust (NYSE: HPT), a hospitality REIT; Senior Housing Properties Trust (NYSE: SNH), a healthcare REIT; a government property focused REIT, Government Properties Income Trust (NYSE: GOV); and Select Income REIT (NYSE: SIR), a REIT that focuses on net leased, single tenant properties; and also provides management and administrative services to two publicly traded real estate based operating companies: Five Star Quality Care, Inc (NYSE Amex: FVE) and TravelCenters of America LLC (NYSE Amex: TA). An affiliate of RMR, Sonesta International Hotels Corporation, is one of HPT's hotel managers; and another affiliate of RMR, RMR Advisors, Inc. is the investment manager of a publicly owned mutual fund, which principally invests in securities of unaffiliated real estate companies.
Hospitality Properties Trust - 2 years ago