Department Lab Technologist- Pool- Winter Park - 122854 Location Winter Park Description
Our Mission is to extend the healing ministry of Christ.
PRIMARY CUSTOMERS, PARTNERS, AND TEAM:
At Florida Hospital our primary customers are patients and families. Our partners are physicians and our team members are all employees of Florida Hospital.
GENERAL SUMMARY :
The Medical Technologist performs laboratory procedures in assigned areas as licensed. The position requires the exercise of independent judgment under minimum or moderate degree of supervision. Work customarily involves testing which may require a high degree of theoretical and practical knowledge and expertise in licensed area(s). Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all. Adheres to the Florida Hospital Corporate Compliance Plan and to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state and federal agencies and accrediting bodies.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED :
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED :
- Demonstrated technical skills and aptitudes related to the specific laboratory testing performed in department or workarea assigned.
- Ability to read text and numbers in English, with demonstrated ability to comprehend, measure, calculate, reason, match and problem solve.
- Ability to learn and apply computer related applications and programs, including using electronic keyboards and other peripheral devices.
- Mature judgement and the ability to handle confidential information within Florida Hospital guidelines and applicable regulations.
- Ability to handle infectious biological specimens, caustics, toxic chemicals and/or irritants appropriately and safely.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in written form with persons of varied backgrounds in a respectful, effective and professional manner.
- Ability to respond appropriately to buzzers, bells, flashing lights, and pagers.
Preferred : B.S.(or equivalent) degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, or equivalent term.
One year experience in Clinical Laboratory setting, or completion of a Florida Hospital sponsored Medical Technology internship program.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED :
Preferred: Licensed by State of Florida at Medical Technologist level in all 5 specialties.
- Licensed by State of Florida at Medical Technologist level in specialty(ies) appropriate for department(s), workareas and/or campuses assigned.
Nationally certified as Medical Technologist, or equivalent term
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES :
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. Responsibilities are subject to change.
- Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital's Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization's Performance Excellence Program.
- Performs assigned pre-analytical activities related to tests assigned, including Quality Control, equipment maintenance, inventory control, specimen collection and processing, calibration, and proficiency testing.
- Performs all expected test and analytical procedures efficiently and accurately, according to Florida Hospital procedures and department competency standards.
- Performs post-analytical activities related to laboratory testing, reporting results (including highly abnormal results) in accordance with Florida Hospital procedures
- Participates in, and has knowledge of, laboratory and hospital Performance Improvement activities, including evaluation of new equipment and/or procedures or methods.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to technicians and support staff, resolution to customer service issues within guidelines, and support education to clinical staff.
- Adheres strictly to Florida Hospital Compliance Plan and the rules and regulations of applicable regulatory authorities; protects confidentiality of patient information and results at all times.
- Provides and acts on technical and support information related to the elements of laboratory testing for all age groups, from neo-nates through geriatric patients.
- Demonstrates appropriate use of PPE, and follows safety policies, including handwashing. Demonstrates understanding and adheres to Chemical Hygiene plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the department or unit.
- Employee job duties may include transport of hazardous waste from the point of generation to a designated secure storage area. Employee will be required to complete initial training (prior to handling hazardous waste) and refresher training to include proper handling and transport of hazardous waste, and proper selection, use and disposal of personal protective equipment.
Florida Hospital Association - 2 years ago