Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service. Become a part of our mission to unite our past, our cultures and our special places, to establish important connections to the present and build a rich and lasting legacy for future generations.
This position is located in the Maintenance Division of Assateague Island National Seashore in the Maryland or Virginia District. The position operates trash compactor trucks, dump trucks, septic waste pumper trucks, and stake bed trucks . The work hours for this position are Sunday to Thursday 6:00am to 2:30pm. Work is performed in inclement weather and you may have to wear protective equipment and clothing that are sometimes heavy and uncomfortable. The proposed start date for this position is 4/10/2012.
Applications will be accepted from United States citizens. You do not have to be a current or former government employee to be considered for this position.
This is a seasonal 1,039 hour appointment . Selectee may only work 1,039 hours in a service year. This position may be terminated at any time due to lack of work or lack of funds. Appointment may be extended for additional period(s) of 1,039 hours per service year (non-competitively rehired) if work demands and budget resources allow. Selectee may be eligible for non-competitive rehire in future seasons depending on work demands and budget resources.
The work schedule may be adjusted due to fluctuating work demands or budgetary reason.
One or more vacancies may be filled by this announcement. Later selections may be made from this vacancy announcement as the need arises.
APPLICANTS WHO DO NOT SUBMIT THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION WILL NOT RECEIVE FULL CONSIDERATION.
Please Click Print Preview to View Full Announcement. You are encouraged to read the entire announcement before you submit your application package. Your application will not get full consideration if you do not follow the instructions as outlined.
U.S. Citizenship Required
If claiming Veterans Preference, you must attach supporting documentation
Must wear a National Park Service uniform
A valid COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE is required
Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication
A pre-employment drug test is required
In this position you will:
1. Operate trash compactor trucks, dump trucks, septic waste pumper trucks, and stake bed trucks .
2. Ensure that the truck is in safe working condition by performing maintenance checks on the vehicle.
3. Dump truck dumpsters, shovel products from trucks to make road repairs, pump truck septic tanks, and load/unload the truck by hand on occasion.
4. Perform semi-skilled and unskilled maintenance, repair, and janitorial work.
5. Perform manual labor tasks, such as digging, pulling, cleaning drainage ditches, lifting and emptying trash containers, cleaning restrooms, picking up litter, raking and graveling roads and trails, and other Manama labor tasks as needed.
Physical demands - Moderate physical activity is needed by this position in operating, turning, backing, and controlling which carry heavy loads or a large number of people. Required to frequently lift items weighing over 50 pounds. Considerable physical effort may be required to change tires and make limited emergency repairs, such as installing an emergency fan belt or replacing electrical fuse on open highways.
Working conditions - You will be required to work outside and will be exposed to extreme hot and cold temperatures. You will operate vehicles in all types of traffic and weather on public roads and will be exposed to the dangers of serious accidents.
AREA INFORMATION: Assateague Island National Seashore is located on the eastern coast of Maryland and Virginia , approximately 130 miles east of Washington , DC . The area is largely rural, with numerous small towns and the seaside resorts of Ocean City , MD and Chincoteague , VA nearby. Complete shopping and medical services are available, as are public and private schools. The small city of Salisbury , MD is about 30 miles west of the headquarters area and has shopping centers, a university and a large hospital. Summers are hot and humid, with high temperatures commonly in the 90s. Winters are mild with little snow and daytime temperatures usually above freezing
All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement, Wednesday, February 22, 2012 . Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Handbook X118c, Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupation. To be eligible for this position, you must meet the screen-out element as described in the occupational/assessment questionnaire and as outlined below. Applicants who fail to meet the screen out element will be rated ineligible, without further review.
The Screen-Out Element for this position is: The ability to do the work of a Motor Vehicle Operator without more than normal supervision performing such duties as: operating a commercial motor vehicles which typically weigh more than 26,000 pounds and up 32,000 pounds and performing maintenance on those vehicles.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required, you must show that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirement emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Credit will be given for all appropriate qualifying experience regardless of whether compensation was received or whether the experience was gained in a part-time or full-time occupation.
1. National Park Service (NPS) uniformed position. Employee will be required to wear a uniform and comply with NPS uniform standards.
2. Selectee must possess a valid commercial driver's license.
3. Appointment subject to background investigation, favorable adjudication, and pre-employment drug testing.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Please Note : All answers provided in the on-line process must be substantiated in your application package. Upon review, if it is determined that your work history, KSAs/competencies, and/or supporting documents do not support your answer choices, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified or your score may be modified. Please ensure that your work history provides enough detail to support your answers to the KSAs/competencies. Errors and/or omissions may affect your rating.
1. Ability to do the work of a Motor Vehicle Operator without more than normal supervision.
2. The operation of motor vehicles (commercial motor vehicles).
3. The ability to drive safely.
4. Work practices (keeping things neat, clean, and in order).
Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. Candidates will be ranked into 3 categories:
Category Group I (Best Qualified) - applicants who possess experience and/or education that well exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position, including all selective factors and all quality ranking factors. Applicants considered best qualified must be highly proficient in all requirements of the job and be able to perform effectively in the position.
Category Group II (Well Qualified) - applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the requirements of the job.
Category Group III (Qualified) - applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.
VETERANS PREFERENCE: Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference are ranked in their appropriate categories without points but receive selection priority over non-veterans within their category. In addition, qualified preference eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of at least ten percent (CP/CPS) are moved to the highest (Best Qualified) category (except for scientific and professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). In order to receive preference appropriate documentation to verify eligibility (i.e. DD-214, SF-15, VA Letter, etc.) must be provided with the application.
Working for National Park Service offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. The following Web address is provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees. To find out more click here http://www.usajobs.gov/EI/benefits.asp .
1. If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must attach an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
2. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (see http://www.sss.gov/ )
3. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review in our office, in other Federal agency personnel offices, and on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications .
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid if the person selected for the position is from outside the local commuting area and is otherwise eligible (current career/career conditional Federal employees) for reimbursement of relocation expenses under the Federal Travel Regulations.
Form DI-1935 (U.S. Department of the Interior Background Survey) - voluntary and can be accessed at http://www.doi.gov/diversity/doc/di1935.htm To be used for statistical purposes. Please send this form directly to the above mailing address
usajobs.gov - 22 months ago