The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
UW Information Technology (UW-IT) has an outstanding opportunity for an Enterprise Oracle Database Administrator.
Database Administrators (DBAs) use database management systems (DBMS) to store and manage information. DBAs will often install and configure the DBMS environment and have ongoing responsibility for ensuring those systems operate efficiently through monitoring and performance tuning. They also make sure the data maintained in the DBMS is backed up regularly, stored effectively, and that the data is secure from unauthorized access. Ensuring the data is available, by maximizing database uptime, is also an important function of the database administrators. The DBMS technologies in use at the University of Washington are managed by the DBAs. They include Unisys Database Management System II (DMSII), IBM DB2, IBM Informix, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, and PostgreSQL.
UW IT - Information Management is looking for an outstanding Enterprise Oracle Database Administrator. The person has strong experience in Oracle software installation and setup server environment, Oracle Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, using Oracle or other vendor performance monitor and troubleshooting tools. The person is an expert in implementing operational automation. The knowledge and experience of Microsoft SQL server and/or other database management systems will be a plus.
Since a key element in a database administrator’s job is to ensure optimum performance of database systems, an understanding of the various platforms used to host different database management software is crucial. Another important element of the job is the planning, designing, and implementation of database security. Data integrity and backup systems are the database administrator’s duties.
In addition, database administrators do the following:
Software installation and server environment setup
Maintain and upgrade database management systems
Create shell scripts for task automation
Oversee backup, clustering, mirroring, replication and failover
Establish policies and procedures for staffs
Provide consultation to the users in database access and query performance
Stay abreast of changing technologies and design techniques
Database security and encryption implementation
Disaster recovery plan and exercise
Maintain (create and update) system architectural, system configuration, and operational procedures documentation
Work as a backup person to the other database management systems
Provide 24/7 support for critical situations
Monitor systems and platforms for availability
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
Minimum work experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or related field; or equivalent experience.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- At least five years progressive experience in the database field as a Oracle database administrator supporting critical business applications and high availability environment.
- Proficiency in navigating the UNIX/LINUX and MS Window environments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude for team work and collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Data migration from and to variety of sources
- Experience with Oracle (11g or newer) database engine.
- Experience with Oracle RMAN backup and recovery technologies.
- Experience with Oracle Data Guard.
- Experience with Oracle Grid Control.
- Experience with Oracle Automatic Storage Management (ASM).
- Experience with performance tuning on the Oracle database management system and SQL Query.
Condition of Employment:
- A deep knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL), Relational Database Design and implementation, Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) experience, working knowledge of computer programming languages, experience with scripting programs. Strong background in the use of the tool sets used for DBMS at the university.
A satisfactory outcome from a criminal background verification may be required prior to hire.
- This is an essential position and is required to report to work when UW suspends operations.
Part of the application process for this position includes completing an on-line cover letter assessment and the Employment Eligibility Assessment to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. The assessment(s) will appear on your screen for you to complete as soon as you select "Apply to this Position" on this job announcement. Once you begin the assessment, it must be completed at that time. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until the assessment is complete.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability , and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com .
University of Washington - 2 years ago