The California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) is the nation’s largest public pension fund in providing retirement and health benefits to public employees, retirees, and their families and employers. Headquartered in downtown Sacramento, we are a destination employer within Northern California. CalPERS is family friendly and situated in close proximity to the Napa Valley, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, and other desirable destinations. CalPERS offers benefit packages, competitive salary, and opportunities for advancement. Join an organization with an international reputation for leadership and innovation.
If you are interested in becoming part of a diverse workforce where talent, experience, and expertise are valued, CalPERS invites you to apply for this employment opportunity.
For more information about additional employment opportunities at CalPERS, please visit www.calpers.ca.gov/careers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Knowledge of information technology system development lifecycles.
- Knowledge of principles of designing methods of processing information.
- Knowledge of technical report writing.
- Ability to write complex programs and develop detailed program specifications.
- Ability to analyze information and situations, reason logically and creatively, identify problems, draw valid conclusions, and develop effective solutions.
- Ability to apply creative thinking in the design and development of methods of processing information with information technology systems.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work. Ability to communicate effectively; and prepare effective reports.
Special Personal Characteristics
- Knowledge and experience developing in Object Oriented and web interface applications
- Experience in developing, maintaining and enhancing complex programs using Java (J2EE)
- Knowledge of MVC frameworks, JUnit, ILog JRules
- Knowledge of Web Services, COTS integration, and design patterns
- Ability to read and write database queries using SQL or PL/SQL
To view the position's duties and responsibilities select Duty Statement
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and maintain effectiveness in varying responsibilities and changing priorities.
- Ability, persistence and confidence to learn new Information Technology processes and technologies
- Ability to take direction from superior team members.
- Communicate in clear, concise manner and with a diverse community, which may involve exposure to uncooperative personnel and adversarial situations
- Reason systematically and technologically to analyze and resolve issues with application development solutions.
- Respect and defer to superiors with more experience or knowledge
WHO MAY APPLY:
Individuals who are currently at the Associate Programmer Analyst (Spec) level or who are eligible for transfer or list appointment to this level are encouraged to apply online by selecting the “Apply” link above. Appointment may be subject to SROA/Surplus restrictions.
If you do not have internet access, please complete and mail a paper Standard State Application (STD. 678). In the Explanations section on the STD. 678, all applicants must indicate the basis of eligibility (e.g. SROA, Surplus, reemployment, reinstatement, transfer, list eligibility, or Training and Development [T&D] Assignment etc.). Surplus applicants applying by paper must attach a copy of their surplus letter with their paper application. All paper applications must be postmarked by the final filing date and mailed to the following address:
Human Resources Division - JOB#00478
400 Q Street, LPN, Room 3260
Sacramento, CA 95811
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants submitting a paper application must reference the JOB# in the "Job Title" section of the STD. 678. In addition, Applicants submitting a paper application must print and attach any supplemental questions, statement of qualifications, or additional attachments as noted in the job bulletin or their application may be considered INCOMPLETE.
PLEASE NOTE: Possession of minimum qualifications will be verified prior to interview and/or appointment. If it is determined an applicant does not meet the minimum qualifications, the application will be forwarded to the State Personnel Board for review and the applicant's name may be removed from the eligibility list.
Through June 30, 2013, full-time employees' monthly pay will be reduced by 4.62% in exchange for eight (8) hours of leave. Part-time employees shall be subject to the pay reduction on a pro-rated basis consistent with their time base.