Under direction of Pool Manager and Recreation Supervisor, supervise assigned areas of the aquatic facility according to guidelines established by the American Red Cross and the City of Apple Valley. Day, evening and weekend work will be required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Prevention of accidents both in the water and on the pool deck.
2. Education of the public as to the causes of aquatic accidents and their prevention. Communicate with the public with a positive and professional attitude. Provide pleasant, proactive and approachable Customer Service.
3. Maintaining the readiness and availability of rescue equipment in the facility.
4. Evaluate the swimming abilities of all people using the pool. Test as needed.
5. Perform regular guard duties as assigned. Enforce all pool safety rules, regulations and policies in a professional manner. Maintain surveillance of your assigned area and avoid distractions. Supervise pool deck and swim areas, being alert to swimmers who may need assistance.
6. Provide rescue and emergency care to incident victims within the Park.
7. Help with daily maintenance procedures in all areas of the facility including restrooms and locker rooms.
8. Responsible for attending all staff meetings and required number of in-service training sessions. Maintain the required level of physical fitness.
9. Assist in opening and closing duties.
10. Comply with established policies and procedures for employees of the City of Apple Valley.
11. Complete accident and incident reports.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education/Experience Requirements:
• Must be 16 years of age or older for Apple Valley Aquatic Center
• Must hold current lifeguard, CPR and first aid certifications before the start of work for the season.
• Willing to work a schedule that may include weekends and holidays.
• Ability to interact with the public in a positive manner.
• Ability to work outdoors under a variety of weather conditions.
• Previous experience as a Lifeguard.
• Previous customer service experience.
Lifeguard positions open at Aquatic Center.
Seasonal Operation - Day, Evening and weekend work will be required. Pool is open 7 days a week.
Hours of Operation: Aquatic Center 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., but may start as early 9:00 a.m. and finish as late as 11:00 p.m.
Please note: Applicants who have significant limits on their schedules (other activities, vacations etc.) may be offerd an on-call lifeguard position, which in-turn have limited working hours. Please remember to answer supplemental questions on job posting.
Employment offer will be contingent upon successful completion of a criminal and driving history check.