Performs quality control tests for the specific product line in accordance with established local or national standards. This position will be required to conduct quality control tests within the precision standards established by ASTM and AASHTO. The Material Performance Technician should be able to perform all required aggregate tests for physical properties determination (LA Abrasion, Specific Gravities, Soundness, ASR, etc…) as well as conduct in depth problem solving, detailed data and trend analysis and trouble shooting associated with aggregate material performance. This position also assists the Material Performance Manager of the product line and the BU Material Performance Director in the implementation of best practices and techniques, in regards to product quality and quality initiatives.
· Assist with the development, administration, implementation and documentation of Material Performance Plans and related Material Performance data, procedures and project-specific quality control.
· Assists in Material Performance-related management and operational personnel training, and assists in developing and improving operational procedures and output regarding a variety of Quality Improvement initiatives.
· Carries out ongoing lab and field sampling.
· Carries out regular updates to appropriate Quality Control and Quality Assurance test databases and spreadsheets and provides report summaries or analyses as needed.
· Provide ‘troubleshooting’ guidance and advice, for various customers both internal and external.
· Be a responsible advocate for on-the-job safety and the environment.
· Technical Material Performance support and expertise provided for all plants in geographic area.
· Compile and prepare statistical reports and summaries for all aggregate products, for the Material Performance Manager.
· Ensure aggregates meet required specifications (Grading, physical testing, etc…) within the given area of responsibility
· Provide customer support in resolving quality concerns and problems.
· Assist plant superintendents, & managers as required
· Must understand basic operations of an aggregate plant.
· Must have a good understand at least one downstream product and exposure to the other (RMX or HMA)
· Assist Material Performance personnel in other areas, when available.
· Report results to the Plant Manager and Material Performance Manager.
· Recommend and assist with plant changes to ensure conformance and consistency.
· Accuracy of tests
· Assist with the refinement and testing of New Products.
· Perform detailed analysis and identification of trends in aggregate data
· Keeping proper people informed
· Enter data into internal databases in a timely manner
· Perform basic analysis and identify trends of aggregate data
· Develop and maintain good working relationships with fellow employees
Relationships with Others Jobs:
Material Performance Manager
Education and Work Experience:
· High School Graduate or Equivalent
· Experence a plus
Knowledge and Skills:
· Strong computer skills
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Current and valid Drivers License.
· Ability to be PennDOT & or MD DOT approved in a 6 month period