: This position designs and lays out the respective sections of a CE newspaper and other editorial products as assigned, according to the priorities established by the Managing Editor/Assistant managing editor and the Public Affairs Office. The News Design and Layout Editor also maintains electronic archives, edits section-appropriate briefs and functions as a photographer on assignment. The CE newspaper operation is based on a US government contract awarded for a specific military installation
Essential Functions :
- Functions as a photographer on assignment
- Designs and lays out features
- Lays out inside pages per page designs (dummies) submitted by Reporter / Writer/ Photojournalist / Section Editor.
- Places ads on pages.
- Maintains electronic archives of the newspaper.
- Submits editorial content to our web site and Facebook.
- Assists with editorial copy for specialty publications as needed.
- Identify issues or military and/or community concerns that help shape weekly coverage plans and graphic design for the newspaper.
- Contribute to overall newspaper development by participating in regular meetings or story conferences
- Guarantees quality assurance with error-free copy and meets all production deadlines
- Handles occasional assignments that may arise on the beats of team members who are on vacation or otherwise assigned.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Managing Editor / Assistant managing editor.
- Provides excellent customer service
- Adheres to all corporate policies and procedures in the conduct of the business.
: Performance against agreed upon goals and objectives will be formally evaluated at least annually through the Partners in Performance (PIP) process. More informal evaluations of performance for purposes of updating PIP objectives, providing feedback, etc. will also occur throughout the year.
Expected Behaviors :
- Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills - Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
- Planning and Organizing - Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Quality Orientation - Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Customer Focus - Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships
- Work Standards - Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed
- Building Trust - Interacting with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization.
- Communication – clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Initiating Action - Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Stress Tolerance – Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization
- Building Strategic Working Relationships - Developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Contributing to Team Success - Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
- Adaptability - Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Measurable Results :
- All agreed upon PIP goals and objectives, including:
- Managing successfully the full range of responsibilities in accordance with the contract’s Solicitation, including:
- Ensuring a high-quality newspaper (print and online edition) is produced timely and on schedule
- Establishing and maintaining a close and effective working relationship with a military installation’s Public Affairs Office
Key Relationships :
- No official authority granted
- This position reports directly to the Managing Editor
- All editorial team members
- Managing Editor / Editorial Team Leader
- Public Affairs Officer (PAO) on military installation
- Contracting Office Representative (COR) on military installation
- Commanding Officer (CO) on military installation
- Key community officials and leaders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with excellent people skills.
- A good eye for photography or familiarity with digital cameras
- Knowledge of editorial and ethical standards for the research and development of journalistic articles and/or presentations.
- Proficient with use desktop or laptop computer and use of MS Office Word and Outlook; familiarity with newspaper production programs and systems such as Quark XPress, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop
- Must keep abreast of current trends in newspaper layout and design
- Must be familiar with use of digital graphics hardware (i.e. scanners, etc.)
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving, decision making, and priority-setting skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and ability to work well under deadline pressures.
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule when necessary, including nights and weekends.
- Comfortable with a collaborative and team approach to managing work.
- A strong demonstrated commitment to high quality customer service
- Associates degree in art or related field
- Three years experience in digital layout and design of printed publications.
Pilot Media Companies are Equal Employment Opportunity employers and support a drug-free work place.