The Employee will be primarily responsible for reading, digesting and inputting Tips, Complaints and Referrals (TCR) into TCR system, preparing correspondence to whistleblowers, preparing and organizing files, and help return phone calls to whistleblowers. This Employee must have experience preparing binders akin to those prepared for meetings of boards of directors, including pulling documents from Pacer and other systems, prepare indexes, and organizing voluminous documents in binders in a competent, timely and professional manner. It is preferable that the Employee have experience in a mid-size to large law firm where organization and impeccable final work product is emphasized. A background working with securities laws is also helpful.
- Experience working in a mid-size to large law firm where organization and impeccable final work product is emphasized, strongly preferred.
- Proven excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Strong Analytical ability.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Requires paralegal certificate. An equivalent level of legal training may be substituted with the approval of the COTR.
- At least two years of litigation paralegal experience required.
- Ability to utilize law library resources.
- At least one year of experience in automated litigation support.
- Experience preparing binders akin to those prepared for meetings of boards of directors, including pulling documents from Pacer and other systems.
- Experience handling and organizing voluminous documents in binders.
- Must be able to deliver high quality work under extreme pressure.
- Sound working knowledge of legal system, legal research procedures and sources of information. *Thorough knowledge of legal research tools (such as Lexis and/or Westlaw).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications [i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc...] and WordPerfect Office Suite.
- Ability to use multi-line phone system.
- Lifting/carrying of small office items.
- Ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen. Desired skills *Background working with securities laws is very helpful.
- Trial experience, helpful.
- Experience answering phones via a hotline, helpful.
- Active security clearance, preferred. Specific Job Description The Employee will provide litigation support services to the Office of the Whistleblower (OWB) located at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Office located in Washington, DC.
The Employee responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Enter TCRs received from whistleblowers into the TCR database within three days of receipt.
- Read each TCR, determining the alleged securities law violation and the parties involved, and draft a summary paragraph.
- Review the TCR database to determine whether an existing TCR case exists.
- Scan and upload original TCRs into the system
- Read all supplemental information received from whistleblowers and determine the correct TCR number.
- Scan and upload all supplemental information to the appropriate whistleblower TCR file in the TCR database.
- Send requests for instruction and follow-up to OWB staff as appropriate.
- Binder Preparation
- Pull legal documents from Pacer and other systems
- Prepare index of documents
- Organize documents in a neat, logical and professional manner for Claims Review Staff Meetings
- Have a keen eye for neatness, organization and professional presentation.
- Background preparing binders for board of directors meetings preferable.
- Organize and retain original signature documents
- Update and keep all attorneys appraised of changes to documents or additional documents.
- Acknowledgement Letters
- Determine correct form of letter to send (acknowledgement, deficiency or additional information letter).
- Create individualized letters as necessary.
- Review each letter for quality-control accuracy.
- Obtain signature on letters from OWB Chief.
- Scan and upload letters to the appropriate whistleblower TCR file on the TCR database
- File hard copy of letter in appropriate file in the file room and in the chronological correspondence binder.
- Document Filing and Maintenance
- Create label and folder for each new TCR file and WB-APP.
- Locate TCR folder and file supplemental information to existing TCR files.
- Organize folders and place in file room in neat, organized manner.
- Maintain file room as necessary.
- Maintain chronological correspondence binder.
- Phone Calls
- Take notes during phone calls returned by Phone Duty and Communication Attorney, includes documenting substance of calls on TCR system as necessary
- Save all wav files of whistleblower hotline calls on call log file.
- Miscellaneous Document Requests
- Respond to miscellaneous requests such as FOIA and staff attorney requests.
- Any other duties as necessary to the mission of OWB. Standard Job Description Paralegal/Legal Assistant II Security Clearance Public Trust Typical Minimums NA LMCareers Business Unit ESS0997 IS&GS-CIVIL (S8200) Business Area Info Systems & Global Sol Program MEGA 3 (SEC) Department 7254024:BPS - SCA Labor Pool Job Class Legal Job Category Hourly/Non-Exempt City Washington State District of Columbia Virtual No Relocation Available No Work Schedule STANDARD-Mon-Fri/8 hours a day Req Type Blue Sky Direct/Indirect Direct Shift First
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s team of people works with partners around the world to bring proven...