Operations Internship, Summer Foundations
New Leaders seeks up to three individuals to serve as Operations Interns during Summer Foundations. Summer Foundations is an intensive two-week training program designed to equip participants, often referred to as Residents, with a comprehensive toolkit of knowledge and skills necessary to successfully lead and manage an urban public school. Summer Foundations sets the stage for the learning and development of the New Leader as they launch into their year as participants in the Aspiring Principals Program. Summer Foundations is held in Boston, MA on the campus of Boston University.
The Summer Foundations Operations Interns will be expected to act primarily as “operations and logistics support” interns. Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
The Summer Foundations Operations Interns will be expected to work evening hours and weekends. Daily work schedules will be developed in a manner to balance the workload between interns and to build in down-time.
- Developing and maintaining administrative office systems
- Assisting with the planning and implementation of various social and community activities for Residents
- Assisting with the transport of supplies and materials to classrooms and supporting the setup and distribution of those materials as needed. Ability to lift a minimum of 20 pounds a must!
- Assembling course materials (binders, folders, etc) and distribution of the materials to the resident learning community
- Assembling visitor materials
- Serving as a liaison with our university partner and host hotel to ensure a healthy living and learning environment for Residents, staff, faculty, and visitors
- Providing support for additional NLNS meetings hosted in Boston during Summer Foundations
- Working with designated NL staff to coordinate communication and special projects for the Foundations community
- Assisting with general program support including clerical, administrative, and logistical tasks
The Summer Foundations Intern positions are open to all interested persons that are enrolled in a community college or undergraduate program at a college or university, or that have just graduated from high school and are pursuing post-secondary education
The ideal candidate would have strong analytical and communication skills, be organized, reliable, self-motivated, collaborative, interested in hospitality management, and share New Leaders’ core belief that every child can reach high levels of academic excellence. Previous experience in Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint - is required.
Commitment & Compensation:
Summer Foundations Interns are expected to commit to lodge on the campus Boston University for the entire duration of the program. Interns are to arrive on the campus of Boston University on Monday, July 9th and remain through Saturday, July 28th. Lodging on Boston University campus is an apartment style suite equipped with a shared kitchen, shared living room and two shared bathrooms. Each intern will be assigned his/her own sleeping room within the apartment style suite equipped with a bed, standard linens, a desk and dresser. New Leaders will offset the cost of room and board, reimburse for ground transportation (1 round trip) to and from Boston University as outline by New Leaders reimbursement policy and a $2,000 stipend.
Important Application Notes:
If you are planning to apply for more than one position ,
Please specifically address each position you are applying for in your cover letter.
If after submitting materials you decide to apply for an additional position, please re-write your cover letter to reflect this and resubmit. If you do not indicate your interest in a position, you will not be considered for it.
Although we encourage you to apply for any positions you are both interested in and consider yourself qualified for, we ask you to be careful when attaching yourself to more than one requisition.
Your cover letter should include:
- An explanation of your interest in the New Leaders mission
- An explanation of your interest in the position for which you are applying
- An explanation of anything unusual in your resume (more than one year employment lapse or a major shift in your career interest)
New Leaders is an equal opportunity employer. New Leaders evaluates applicants for employment on the basis of qualifications, merit and work-related criteria without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, childbirth, medical condition, marital or familial status, family responsibilities, veteran status, personal appearance, political affiliation, matriculation, or any other characteristic protected by law. All applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of such status.
Please note all offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
New Leaders for New Schools - 14 months ago