Assists the Deputy Chief Counsel in fulfilling the legal affairs and requirements of the corporation, principally (but not exclusively) in the technology area.
ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities. Headquartered in Bristol, Connecticut, ESPN is 80% owned by ABC, Inc. (a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company), and 20% by the Hearst Corporation.
ESPN was founded by Bill Rasmussen and launched on September 7, 1979. Now with over 6,500 employees, each year ESPN televises more than 5,100 live and/or original hours of sports programming. The company’s mission is to serve sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
Paralegal/Senior Legal Assistant
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and of industry legal standards and norms, especially within the technology field; analyzes how these might impact ESPN.
- Serves, with the oversight of the Deputy Chief Counsel, as the primary Legal Department representative for assigned ESPN departments, primarily Technology, with respect to operational and other agreements. Will have additional assigned responsibilities in other areas, including programming and production.
- Drafts contracts and other legal documents, recommends approval/modification of contracts proposed by outside parties, and negotiates with outside parties. Assists with/supports comparable tasks in other areas outside of core expertise/primary responsibility.
- Possesses and maintains (including through Department designated continuing legal education) knowledge in specialized legal areas, specifically technology and intellectual property (copyright, trademark, rights of publicity).
- Keeps internal clients fully informed of relevant legal issues and implications of their current operations and proposed actions, and advises them accordingly of risks and legal consequences of alternative actions.
- Reviews and edits significant letters, work orders and other documents to ensure that legal implications are appropriately handled.
- Manages outside counsel in their representation of ESPN on litigation and other legal service matters.
- May directly supervise, on a non-exclusive basis, one or more Paralegal and Legal Assistant colleagues.
- Recommends and may implement Legal Department policy at the direction of the Deputy Chief Counsel and/or Chief Counsel.
- As requested by the Deputy Chief and/or Chief Counsel, participates in relevant professional associations, seminars, and conferences.
- Operates within the context of defined corporate strategies.
- Fulfillment of the needs and requirements of client departments, primarily ESPN’s Technology group.
- Recommends and, with appropriate approvals, implements enhancements and improvements to established processes and workflows.
- Translates corporate strategy into mid- and long-term goals and the analysis and evaluation of trends in ESPN’s legal positioning and compliance into recommended corporate actions.
- Performs such other and/or additional duties or functions as the Deputy Chief and/or Chief Counsel may delegate to her or him.
- Conceives and recommends strategies and initiatives to minimize the legal risks of current operations and proposed actions.
- Position reports to: Deputy Chief Counsel
- Positions initially reporting to you (non-exclusively):
Administrative Legal Assistant
- Total number of employees initially reporting to you: two (non-exclusive)
- Nature of supervision you provide: Review and approval of work product and performance evaluation for the above.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience as an attorney with at least 2 years of contract law, including extensive drafting; familiarity with technology law; additional familiarity with entertainment, broadcast/cable communication, internet and/or sports business preferred.
Law school JD graduate; bar admittee; eligibility for Connecticut House Counsel status, if not already admitted to the bar in Connecticut.
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
ESPN, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.
ESPN, Inc. - 12 months ago
ESPN, Inc. The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest...