Who You Are:|
Do you have a passion for leading edge technology? Are you searching for an opportunity to partner and work with intelligent and innovative colleagues? Would you thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment? Do you want to help make big advancements in Internet-scale systems? Do you contribute to open source projects on sites like GitHub or SourceForge or use OS distributions like Gentoo, Arch or Slackware?
Cleversafe is solving the most challenging problems in distributed and scalable storage - come show us how big you can think.
Who We Are:
Cleversafe is an innovative storage technology company located in downtown Chicago. We created a breakthrough technology that solves tomorrow's big data storage problems today. Many of the world’s largest data repositories rely on Cleversafe, and our product has received multiple prestigious awards. Our highly ambitious pursuits are fueled primarily by the stellar people we hire. Named one of Chicago’s Best and Brightest for three years, we look for bright people who are passionate and dedicated team players. In return we offer a flexible, casual work environment and a dynamic culture. And, oh yeah, we like to have fun!
The Department: Spotlight
The Platform Team is responsible for customizing and tuning the Linux operating system which lies at the heart of Cleversafe's line of storage appliances. The team maintains a customized Linux distribution
kernel and software stack that is used to automate virtually every aspect of the operating system. Our
work is broad in scope and in challenge; creating dependable and high-performance storage appliances
requires customization in all areas of the operating system.
The Position: In a Nutshell
Cleversafe has an exciting opportunity available for an Associate Linux Platform Engineer to work on its cutting edge data storage technology. You will join a small, agile engineering team and participate in all systems level programming. You will be tasked with solving intriguing problems while partnering with other team members, customers, and vendors throughout the entire project lifecycle.
The Position: The Details
Cleversafe offers a competitive compensation package and the ability to work from home 2 days a week.
- You will take a hands-on approach while participating in all phases of the development process (Agile) with a constant focus on improving process and the overall quality
- You will use object-oriented analysis techniques to gather and document requirements, code and unit test
- You will develop estimates for your own assigned work and complete assigned software development, testing and/or maintenance tasks
- You will identify potential problems with applications/systems and research/recommend alternative solutions
- You will utilize defect tracking system to track defects and change requests
- You will assist with resolution of customer issues that arise in the deployed products
Cleversafe is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or veteran status.
Additional Technical Skills Desired:
- Demonstrable fluency in C
- Good shell (POSIX) skills
- Strong understanding of the make-up of a modern GNU/Linux distribution
- Ability to engage in bug-fixing work across a wide variety of components of the Linux userspace
- Capacity to quickly learn about new systems and techniques
- Knowledge of boot process and firmware interactions
- Knowledge of low-level systems and/or kernel programming
- Knowledge with D-Bus Development
- Proven Open Source Development skills using current and accepted open source tooling
- Proficiency in Python or comparable scripting language
- Knowledge/Experience with revision control and source code management tools
- Knowledge/Experience with hardware related subsystems of the Linux kernel and relevant portions of the kernel and plumbing layer
- Ability to analyze and participate on upstream development against current customer reported defects, cherry pick and backport patches, develop patches and team work with upstream for inclusion
Problem Solving Skills
- Ability to confirm expectations and work to project scope
- Ability to estimate time for task assignments
- Ability to meet deadlines with high quality work product
- Tenacity to discover root cause issues and solve technical problems or present new solutions
- Basic capabilities in data gathering, problem structuring and analysis
- Approach challenges with a diligent work ethic and passion and leverage any and all opportunities
Education and Experience:
- Produce written materials that are clearly and logically structured, accurate and detailed
- Employ strong verbal and listening skills; recognize and communicate issues factually and openly
- Ability to discuss and present own work to peers and team
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering or equivalent experience