SOLAR SENIOR APPLICATION ENGINEER
The Senior Application Engineer reports to the Business Development Manager and is responsible for the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out customer requirements, specifications, and proposals.
This position works under a moderate to low level of supervision. Independent technical decisions on work are covered by precedents; this position seeks direction/guidance on novel or controversial problems.
In addition, this position may participate in project-specific relationship building with Customers, Suppliers, field service personnel, individuals or organizations. May be viewed as a company expert in one or more disciplines or products.
- Performs and may be asked to lead more complex software/hardware TSP creation, test setups/troubleshooting, testing of customer/internal hardware/software for review and approval by the project team. Will support other disciplines within the NPI and manufacturing process to bring designs to completion. These disciplines also include operations, procurement, planning, program management, test, outside vendors, etc.
- Creates and updates BOM's, wiring diagrams, drawings, electrical schematics, test plans, training material, creation of O&M manuals for the customer, as necessary to support the project/team.
- Coordinates project milestones/project scope and ensures activities associated with the Product Life Cycle process and department level procedures are adhered to organizational specifications and systems.
- Attend or possibly lead design reviews both internally and with customers to resolve technical and programming issues. Creates and executes test plans for V&V efforts.
- Participate and perform action items as a team member or lead projects involving other engineers and cross-functional team members
- The engineer may be responsible to mentor and assist level 1 and 2 engineers in the startup of the new product/system along with field service personnel after factory testing has concluded. Engineer will regularly interface with customers, sale reps, vendors, project/program managers, and field service personnel. May be viewed as a company expert in one or more (disciplines) or products.
- Will participate in international and multi-site projects.
- Participate or lead projects in analyzing and sizing of third party internal/external products and definition. Understanding of functionality and interface to WW systems and components. Includes setup, SW programming and debug. Will be inclusive of items such as HMI, Cabinets, SW,a|XXX)
- Support the commercial group in proposal creation, technical support commercial offers, and customer presentations. Create product specifications, software, and application literature for Minor Scope Projects/Systems. This includes items such as ISS, Compliance Matrix, MVP's, IAFMEA, DOSO's, customer manuals and technical specifications for custom or standard designed products/applications. Will be required to propose new approaches to problems encountered by the project team.
- Provide support to customers and the Customer Service group to maintain existing designs and resolve customer field issues.
- May look to opportunities to co-author papers with other engineers complex or novel research assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques and procedures.
- Promotes and implements process improvements company-wide. May champion process in specific product development areas.
- Fully proficient with GAP software and associated operator interface/HMI software to support test setups and debug recommendations and support all GAP changes.
- Mentor/Support level 1-2 Application Engineers with Technical oversite and approval.
- Participate in company marketing and sales activities, and industry technical meetings and conferences
- May be accountable for regulatory compliance support for products and systems. The engineer will work directly with and provide technical oversight to the project team members on issues as needed.
Working Environment / Physical Activities:
- May be requested to be involved in missions for other functions such as;
- Field Service as needed
- Initial investigation for returned unit
- Help desk
- Manual translation
- Customer Training
- Research and provide marketing technical analysis and market based research of new technologies and competitive analysis . Simulation & Modeling . Training Woodward members.
- Work is mainly performed in a general office environment; however, the job may require interaction with other departments and movement throughout the facilities and/or hands-on activities at customer location, which may lead to exposure to, for instance, noise, chemical solutions, dust and extreme temperatures
- Frequent domestic or international travel may be required.
Education or Formal Training:
- Effective time management skills.
- Ability to effectively operate in the project team environment and communicate with customers.
- Assists with the development of department and organization procedures.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills including presentations (internal, customers and management); writes and communicates technical reports. Solid technical writing skills (procedures, reports, etc.).
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Competent skills in complex problem solving and trouble-shooting
- Competent in the use of PCs and associated software.
- Competent knowledge of appropriate WISE applications such as BOM, Item Master, NCR, Warranty, EC screens and part tracking.
- Working knowledge of standards and the ability to apply complex groupings of standards into designs.
- Complete understanding of component and system function and testing requirements. Understands manufacturing processes, drawings and standards.
- Competent use and understanding of design tools, basic use of DFSS tools and methodologies; competent knowledge of Engineering quality systems (PLC, engineering change, configuration management). Ability to run existing standard tools (e.g. GAP, ProE, NetSim, Toolkit, Intellution, Citect, AutoCad, MatlLab, Simulink)
- Company expert on a selected group of products or technologies.
- Demonstrates leadership skills; ability to drive results across organizational boundaries.
- 4 year technical/sience degree or International equivalent required.
Woodward is a multinational company with leading edge technology, headquartered in Fort Collins, CO - USA. We are an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of energy control and optimization solutions for commercial and military aircraft, turbines, reciprocating engines, and electrical power system equipment. Global customers in the aerospace, power and process industries, and transportation markets rely on Woodward technology to make their equipment more efficient and reliable minimizing environmental impact.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a relevant field.
- Knowledge of utility-scale solar (PV) installation and/or system design preferred.
- Demonstrated technical background in inverter technology (i.e. specifications, safety codes and standards, interconnection)
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial approach to projects and customer service
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
United States-Colorado-Fort Collins
1st Shift / Day Job
Woodward - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard