Engineering Manager - Mobile Product Team
Team: Product Strategy
Location: Europe or US timezone preferred
Reports: Engineering Director Products
Canonical leads the development of Ubuntu. If you’re inspired by the idea of shaping the daily software experience of millions of users around the world, on all sorts of devices, you want to see your skills and talents make a meaningful difference in the world, and you believe in craftsmanship in everything you do, then read on.
Ubuntu is expanding into the mobile products space. We are seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to effectively manage a global and distributed engineering team that is focused on products such as handsets and tablets, and driving the evolution of Ubuntu as a mobile operating system.
In order to be successful in this role you will need a strong experience of leadership in software engineering: requirements analysis, software architecture design, overseeing the engineering process with a focus on quality as well as coordinating with all relevant stakeholders.
Required Skills and Experience
- Manage and lead a high-performance software development team
- Set high standards for quality, competence and user experience in all the work of your team
- Mentor and support your team to design technical solutions, with a focus on robustness, security and maintainability
- Manage and prioritize the roadmap and project plan for your team
- Report on status of development, quality and performance
- Recognize and remove technical, organizational and project roadblocks for your team
- Engage with a variety of other engineering, design or business oriented teams in Canonical to dovetail your work with their needs, priorities, and processes
- Experience with test driven development and other agile development practices
- Significant experience in Software development
- Significant experience in engineering management
- Familiarity with ARM SoC based device designs
- Experience in building mobile product solutions, especially Linux or Android based
- Experience identifying and mentoring the development of high potential individuals
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Ability to discuss and debate technical matters with engineers, and help with technical problem resolution
- Experience in setting and enforcing development practices, coding standards, code reviews
- Experience presenting concepts and plans to engineering and non-technical audiences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with Ubuntu and Debian
- Experience working with bug/request tracking systems, Launchpad experience a plus
- Experience of exerting technical leadership via online environments such as conferencing systems, IRC, and mailing lists
- Familiarity with usability concepts, principles and UI design a plus
- Articulate blogger and community builder
- Experience presenting at developer conferences or trade shows
Canonical provides engineering, online and professional services to Ubuntu partners and customers worldwide. As the company behind the...