Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases and chemicals, has an immediate opening for a Product Safety Specialist at our Corporate Headquarters in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
The Specialist provides support on a broad array of activities specific to Product Safety and ensures Hazard Communications compliance for our products. This position will report to the Manager NA and Global Regulatory Compliance in Product Safety in Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) in the US and will support Hazard Communication compliance of our products with OSHA regulations in the US and other similar regulations in the world.
This position will cover a broad array of support and compliance activities. Inclusive of these activities will be the evaluation of hazard classifications and generation of impact analysis, coordination with technology and business units and Product Safety personnel in other regions, tracking of emerging Hazcom laws and communicating the impact analysis to appropriate personnel in the company, maintaining regulatory records, etc. The incumbent will interface with a large contingent of internal and external customers including but not limited to EH&S, Business, Technology, and Manufacturing. As such the position will require the individual to have an ability to work within a diverse business environment and assist compliance with product safety regulations.
- Electronic MSDS and label generation using SAP
- Understanding and providing product hazard classification based on global regulations
- OSHA 1910.1200
- EU CLP
- China GB requirements
- ACGIH, IARC, NTP
- Provide guidance to Technology for preparation of product formulation
- Understand global Hazard Classification rules (use and transport), their differences and their application to product formulations
- OSHA vs. DOT - classification and labeling requirements
- Early involvement with new product introduction
- Appreciation for business requirements, confidential intellectual property and ability to balance against regulatory requirements
- Successful interaction with a wide global audience (Business, Technology, Product Information Center, IT, and external customers)
- Quick turnaround time handling customer issues (internal and external)
- Ability to gather hazard data from multiple sources and assess the quality
- Ariel, RTECS, NCI, trade association publications
- Maintain, store and retrieve regulatory records of our products
- Perform collation and downloading of products data from the SAP data storage system
- Participation in regulatory and risk assessment teams in product safety, regulatory and information network in American Chemistry Council
- Job requires some level of travel (approx. 10%)
Air Products (NYSE: APD) serves customers in industrial, energy, technology and healthcare markets worldwide with a unique portfolio of atmospheric gases, process and specialty gases, performance materials, and equipment and services. Founded in 1940, Air Products has built leading positions in key growth markets such as semiconductor materials, refinery hydrogen, home healthcare services, natural gas liquefaction, and advanced coatings and adhesives. The company is recognized for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. In fiscal 2011, Air Products had revenues of $10.1 billion, operations in over 40 countries, and 18,900 employees around the globe. For more information, visit www.airproducts.com.
- Minimum of 3 years related experience
- Strong chemistry or similar science background, Bachelors or Masters degree
- Organic chemistry
- Knowledge of gases and their properties
- Physical testing requirements for classification
- Flash point
- Understand different hazard classes and their relationships, such as, Flammable, Toxic, Oxidizer, etc.
- HazCom Regulatory knowledge for North America, Europe, and Asia
- Knowledge of SAP, Business Warehouse, amd SharePoint
- Microsoft Office Suite proficiency (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Good troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently, be flexible, and successfully meet deadlines
- Web searching / computer skills
To apply for this position, please visit the Air Products Career Center. Click on the link Search job openings from the left navigation bar. You can apply specifically to Job Req #10346BR. If you are a current Air Products employee, please apply via APOnline by clicking on Online Applications, then selecting Career Center.
Air Products - 10 months ago
Air Products (NYSE:APD) provides atmospheric, process and specialty gases; performance materials; equipment; and technology. For over 70 yea...