Title: Supervisor/Operator - Print Shop
Department: Customer Service, Marketing & Public Affairs
Post Date: 12/28/2012
Close Date: 01/11/2013
Hay Point Evaluation: N/A
100% Hourly Rate of Pay: $34.866* (See Wage Progression Chart)
Position Classification: Non Safety Sensitive
Reports To: General Manager - Public Affairs
Union Affiliation: TCU-Exception-5
Supervises day-to-day operations of the Print Shop. Responsible for dark room and printing scheduling and quality control of materials produced. Responsible for employee scheduling and payroll and interpretation of third party contracts. Serves as budget coordinator for the Print Shop.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Supervise and coordinate job scheduling and priorities for all employees in the Print Shop. Ensure smooth operation of the Print Shop and its employees on a daily basis. Responsible for prioritizing printing jobs and quality control of final products while assuring conformance with Company goals, procedures and contractual requirements.
- Supervise contracts for the following: paper requirements, ink, printing supplies, dark room supplies and chemicals, company wide direct mailing services, maintenance and repair of the Heidelberg Press and Cutter, Multi-graphic Press, Xerox Machines, Folders, Collator, Dark Room Heidelberg Computer to Plate Equipment.
- Schedule and supervise maintenance and repair of all equipment in the Print Shop.
- Log and keep track of all printing jobs for audit purposes. Maintain and log daily inspections, coordinate with Mail Room and Maintenance of Equipment Department to ensure all material is distributed and/or received.
- Input budget data in the Financial Management System for the Print Shop section of the Customer Service, Marketing and Public Affairs Department. Run variance reports and provide them to section managers for continuing variance analysis of Year-to Date (YTD) operating costs versus approved budget. Work with Finance and Administration staff on budget data entry.
- Train new or junior employees on Print Shop machinery. As the Supervisor/Operator, may run printing press and other Print Shop machinery as necessary.
- Effectively prioritize numerous competing printing and distribution requests; order, receipt for and maintain inventory of necessary supplies; work with LIRR staff and vendors to schedule maintenance, mailings, and deliveries as needed.
- Supervise, control and effectively assign staff in order to produce large amounts of printed material, often under deadline pressure.
- Monitor attendance and enter attendance and payroll data into CTAMS.
- Communicate in person and on phone with managers from all departments (and sometimes from other MTA agencies) who request printing jobs; coordinate effectively with Mailroom for distribution of materials; maintain open line of communication with internal department managers, keeping them informed of all external printing demands and seeking guidance in prioritizing big jobs.
- Interpret contractual arrangements with outside vendors and schedule necessary maintenance for all Print Shop equipment.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent (GED) approved by a State's Department of Education or recognized accredited organization. Some trade-school or college courses in Printing/Graphics area a plus.
- Familiarity with the operation and maintenance of printing presses, copy machines, cutting and folding machines and direct-to-plate computer graphics technology. Darkroom experience may also be helpful.
- Must have supervisory skills.
- Must be able to interpret contractual arrangements with outside vendors.
- Must have excellent administrative, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Must have the ability to learn budget administration functions, such as budget data entry for Print Shop.
- Must be available to stay late or work weekends on occasions when emergency printed materials are required.
- Experience in the day-to-day operation of a Print Shop desired.
- Ability to learn and master CTAMS, PeopleSoft and the Financial Management System. Proficiency in these functions is a plus.
- Must have basic PC skills such as Word and Excel. Knowledge of Adobe Acrobat a plus.
- Familiarity with TCU rules a plus.
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
80% -1st 365 Calendar Days
85% - 2nd 365 Calendar Days
90% -3rd 365 Calendar Days
95% - 4th 365 Calendar Days
100% - After 1,460 Calendar Days
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e. physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://portal.mtabsc.info/psp/PXPRD/EXTRANET/PAEXT/h/?tab=DEFAULT, sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to Job Listings (Internal).
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.
Metropolitan Transportation Authority - 11 months ago