The Department of General Services, Division of Fleet Manangement is seeking two Automotive Repair Technicians for its Car Shop.
The Automotive Repair Technician diagnoses, troubleshoots, and performs major and minor repairs to City equipment and vehicles ( sedans, compact pickups, SUVs and Police vehicles ). Performs wrecker operations and other duties such as cleaning the interior and exterior areas of the shop, and logging information into the computer.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Diagnoses and repairs to transmissions, air brake systems, electrical systems, exhaust work, suspension, hydraulic repairs, engine tune-ups, and engine repairs.
- Performs preventive maintenance and service work.
- Operates wrecker and performs roadside service to disabled city vehicles.
- Uses several types of diagnostic equipment for repairs ranging from drivability to ABS.
- Requires heavy lifting (up to 75 lbs.); also, stooping and bending over equipment. Occasionally may have to climb onto equipment.
High school diploma or equivalent with six months or more of advanced eduction or training past the high school equivalency. Two years experience in automotive maintenance and repair work that would provide the following knowledge, Skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of methods, practices and theory of vehicular maintenance and repair, and hydraulics.
- Knowledge of automotive maintenance and repair.
- Ability to use basic computer software, such as Microsoft Windows, and Fleet Management software.
- Ability to lift 75 pounds and work in dirty or hazardous areas.
Additional Information & Requirements:
- Class 'A' Commercial Driver's license required within 6 months of employment. Candidates selected to interview for this position will be required to obtain and provide a DMV transcript (OBTAINED WITHIN THE PREVIOUS 30 DAYS) at the time of interview.
- ASE-Automotive Service Excellence Certification
- VA State Safety Inspection license preferred.
Work hours: Monday -Friday 6:30am-3:00 pm 40hrs/week. Work hours may change seasonally.
This is an Alpha position and is required to report to work in the event of emergencies and inclement weather situations.