Under supervision, fabricates, erects and repairs sheet metal structures such as ducts, metal ceilings, tanks, storm louvers, roofs, etc. Performs related work.
EXAMPLES OF TYPICAL TASKS:
Lays out, cuts, shapes, forms, rivets, spot welds, solders and sweats tin, copper, brass and all forms of sheet metal; sets and erects sheet metal structures such as ducts, louvers, canvas connections, ceilings, dampers, etc.; develops patterns and templates in fabricating complex shapes and forms; repairs metal ceilings, roofs, leaders, gutters, etc.; does simple rigging in making these repairs; keeps work records; may supervise assigned personnel; performs other related work assigned by the Supervisor.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Five years of full-time experience acquired within the last 15 years as a Sheet Metal Worker; or
2. Three years of such experience acquired within the last 10 years plus sufficient helper or apprentice experience or relevant education acquired in an approved trade or vocational high school to make up the equivalent of five years of acceptable experience. Six months of acceptable experience will be credited for each year of helper or apprenticeship experience or relevant education.
1. Possess a valid New York State driver license;
2. Possess a valid EPA Section 608 Certification; and
3. Experience with split system air conditioner units.
Once selected for employment at the Staten Island Ferry, federal regulations require that the applicant must either undergo a federal background check as part of the Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) program or already possess a TWIC. The TWIC must be obtained within 30 days of appointment, and be maintained for the duration of employment. For further program information, visit: www.tsa.gov/twic.
Please visit www.nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID Number: 116495.
For current City employees, please log into Employee Self Service (ESS) at https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet and follow the Careers link.
Your resume must include a chronological work history and salary earnings summary.
Most public libraries have computers available for use. No phone calls, faxes or personal inquiries permitted. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Appointments are subject to OMB approval.
For more information about DOT, visit us at: www.nyc.gov/dot.
35 hours/ Monday-Friday
Ferry Maintenance Facility
1 Bay Street, Staten Island, NY 10301
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.