Barnes & Noble is looking for people with vision and energy to help us in our quest to change the future of reading. We are the world's largest bookseller and one of the world's fastest growing digital media and consumer technology companies with annual revenues near $7 billion.
We are headquartered in New York City with our NOOK design and development offices located in Palo Alto, California. In the last several years we have transformed ourselves to the only content retailer with a fully operational multi-channel strategy.
Our businesses include the nation's highest rated and most heavily trafficked specialty retail stores, digital content and hardware sales through our exploding NOOK brand, college bookstores, and online retailing through BN.com.
We are investing in all of our business initiatives, so the opportunities to make an impact have never been greater.
- Within the Linux/Unix environment, responsible for provisioning new servers, patching, imaging, monitoring, disaster recovery (planning and testing), automation, scripting, backup\recovery of bare metal hardware and virtual machines
- Provide support of middle-tier applications as well as to escalation support
- Work with application owner’s and\or users to design, implement and maintain Information Systems
- Participate in on-call after hours rotation support
- Perform technology evaluations and testing to introduce new technologies to be adopted and managed within our environment
Barnesandnoble.com LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
- 5+ years Linux server administration experience
- Strong knowledge of Red Hat, SUSE and Oracle Enterprise Linux plus other Linux flavors like Fedora, Ubuntu and CentOS (also demonstrated solid understanding of Linux internals and performance tuning)
- Hands on-Expertise with web architectures and open source technologies
- Virtualization platforms such as KVM, RHEV, OpenStack, XEN and VmWare
- Physical platforms such as Dell, HP, IBM stackable, Blades responsible for configuring and maintaining hardware
- Experience with highly available and load balanced systems; as well as standard infrastructure tools such as NFS, DNS, NTP, LDAP, GNOME/KDE, SysLOG, SSH, Strace/bdb/system Tap debugging
- Experience supporting applications that use Apache, API web services, search or MemCache, CRON, bind
- Automation\configuration managements tools like CF Engine, Chef, Puppet labs or bcfg2
- Infrastructure Monitoring software such as open source, hyperic, Nagios, zenoss, cacti, spiceworks, ganglia, graphite
- Ability to write complex scripts in a major scripting language such as shell, bourne, pearl, ruby, Python, PHP and experience in a programming language such as C/C++/JAVA
- Experience with network concepts and applications such as Proxy (SQUID, Varnish) firewalls, TCP/IP, NIC teaming
- Ability to diagnose complex networking issues using standard tools such as tcpdump, wireshark, iptraf, smokeping, ntop
- Experience with cloud technologies\infrastructure (private, hosted and hybrid)
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills as well as ability to work under minimal supervision; demonstrated understanding and respect of change-control process management
- Ability and desire to mentor others, both within and outside the team
- LPIC or RHCE certifications desired but not required
Barnes & Noble - 22 months ago
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. We...