Animal Care Supervisor
The Washington Humane Society (WHS) is seeking an experienced and energetic Animal Care Supervisor to lead animal care staff in its largest shelter in the nation’s capital.
This position is unique in its opportunity to impact the lives of people and animals. WHS has an aggressive goal to maintain its open admission status, while placing 100% of the nearly 8,000 animals who come into our permanent custody each year. The Animal Care Supervisor will offer leadership and supervision to Animal Care staff to ensure excellent care and humane handling of all animals.
- Serve as one of two supervisors for our animal care team;
- Ensure high quality animal care, including cleaning and disinfecting animal habitats, medicating animals, and provided essential enrichment;
- Develop staff to have increasing skill sets in animal care, as well as animal behavior and shelter medicine;
- Create staff schedule and maintain accurate inventory of shelter animals at all times;
- Maintain accurate animal records, and a clean, safe, welcoming environment for animals and people;
- Communicate with potential adopters, volunteers, and foster parents.
How to Apply
- The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic self starter with at least two years supervisory experience and one year animal-related experience. High school graduate or equivalent. Veterinary technicians with supervisory experience encouraged to apply;
- Demonstrated ability to work positively and efficiently in a team environment; Experience in developing, managing and motivating a team;
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with the public and within the organization is a must;
- A team-oriented and collaborative approach to work, with an ability to bring out the best in peers and reporting employees;
- Exceptional ability to be organized and remain on task in a fast-paced environment;
- Success in finding creative solutions to challenges;
- Resilience and an ability to think strategically;
- Experience handling domestic and wild animals preferred;
- Passion for the Washington Humane Society’s mission.
Please submit a cover letter outlining your qualifications and salary requirements with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Animal Care Supervisor.” Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.