Manage and administer the engineering and construction activities to provide an efficient operation to provide quality service in a timely manner. · Prepare plans and specifications on all projects within the market to support the development of the capital construction budget.
Participate in the process of negotiating and or bidding of projects with vendors/contractors for the construction/installation of plant facilities.
Provide Network Services engineers guidelines and direction on designs and plans to evaluate and implement new services, technologies, and products within established standards.
Manage and supervise the development and maintenance of engineering and construction cost analysis to provide the basis for engineering estimates and contract awards on a Market level.
Ensure the plans and specifications created by Network Services support approved business strategies and provide a platform that is scaleable and migratable to support future service requirements.
Provide recommendations for necessary training for engineering staff.
Ensure CenturyLink System Practices are communicated and adhered to.
Stay abreast of industry issues and technologies through continuing education and a ctively participate in state and local industry committees/forums.
Manage and supervise staff by appraising performance, training, administering salaries, and communicating department objectives.
Work with the Region/Area staff in the operations of the Area to achieve established objectives.
Provide assistance to Telephone Group business units with the evaluation of their budget and plant addition requirements.
Serves as standards representative for Network Services at the Area level.
Prepare and monitor FEV and operating budgets for the Network Services department.
Provide management and direction for the Network Services disciplines within the Area whose charter is to determine and define plant requirements and engineer solutions to meet requested service requirements.
Responsible to implement the strategies and plans to accomplish CenturyLink’s objectives in the capital construction program.
Communicate updates regarding activities involved in the capital construction program and facilities addition requirements and utilization.
Provide technical assistance and information on pertinent plant issues that affect the region/division operating environment.
Communicate results of cost analysis and provide direction on implementation and the network impact related to major plant additions and rearrangements.
Provide assistance to sales and marketing to communicate network functionality features, strategies and evolutions to major accounts.
Communicate requirements and define the application of materials in the network to obtain the best cost, and maintain professional working relationships with each vendor.
Actively participates on state and local Industry Technical Committees.
Responsible for the definition, communication, coordination, coaching, and facilitation of the Network Services staff including engineers, cad technicians and clerical positions toward the common goals and objectives of the department.
Specify, define and develop plans, requirements and configurations for all plant additions to include switching, transport, and access equipment as well as cable and wire additions for a multimillion-dollar construction program.
Acquire, define and communicate the criteria associated with plant additions– coach and supervise the evaluation/engineering required to obtain the most efficient engineering solution.
The incumbent must possess understanding and vision of the communications industry – stay abreast of industry issues and direction of CenturyLink’s executive management - balance technical and administrative attributes to determine and recommend the most appropriate technology/architecture to deploy for any given set of criteria.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field or the equivalent in training and experience.
- Minimum 7-9 years inside & outside plant experience in telecommunications with in-depth knowledge of ISP/OSP equipment and designs or the equivalent in training and experience.
- Leadership and communications skills to direct and coach employees towards departmental goals.
- Incumbent must be self-motivated.
- Well-defined inter-personal skills with ability to positively interact with company personnel, as well as, external contacts.
- Comprehensive and knowledge of network topologies spanning the switching, access, and transport portions of the network, including w orking knowledge of the features, functions and applications defined in Bellcore documents TR-057, TR-909, TR-303, and TR-253.
- Working knowledge of regulatory rules on a national and state level.
- Perform analysis and comparisons of technical information.
- Prepare written and oral reports regarding capital construction requirements and associated engineering and construction issues.
- Working knowledge of and the ability to perform economic analysis including internal rate of return analysis, discounted payback period, net present value, profit index, buy-vs.-lease analysis, cost-benefit analysis, and breakeven analysis.
- General understanding of the Advanced Intelligent Network, SS7 Network, and other nontraditional local exchange network technologies.
- Proficient in use of a personal computer and related software such as word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license, with a satisfactory driving record.
- Detailed working knowledge of packet switching, X.25 and X.75 protocols, IEEE 802.X protocols, OSI reference model, frame relay, SMDS, and ATM switching.
- Detailed understanding of digital switching topics such as space division switching, time division switching, blocking probability functions, and multistage switching.
- Understand digital transmission topics such as PAM, PCM, Nyquist theorem, line coding, framing techniques and time division multiplexing.
- Working knowledge of the SS7 protocol, CCS network architecture, trunk signaling requirements as specified in Bellcore TR-394 and TR-317, function of the LIDB service, operation of the 800-database service, is required.
- Working knowledge of the basic components of the network, encompassing the disciplines of switching, access and transport.
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Qwest Communications - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard