PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: Provide the leadership and opportunities for faculty professional development. Attend local, state, regional, and national professional meetings. Provide service to the community and the university as appropriate. Select appropriate opportunities to maintain administrative competencies.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The Chairperson of the Department of Baccalaureate Nursing is accountable to the Dean of the School of Nursing for the department’s strategic and operational outcomes achievement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Promote an environment conducive to the intellectual stimulation for faculty in teaching, community service, and research.
• Provide leadership in developing and implementing long-range goals, outcomes, and objectives consistent with the mission, goal, and policies of the School of Nursing and the university.
• Maintain standards of accreditation for the Department of Baccalaureate Nursing.
• Participate in the preparation of the departmental budget. Request expenditure of funds for the department and submit to the Dean for approval.
• Evaluate faculty and staff annually.
• Maintain and secure records of students, faculty, staff, and equipment.
• Submit reports timely; leave summaries, class schedules, and other documents as requested.
• Serve on School of Nursing and University committees.
• Collaborate with university departments and colleges, agencies, and organizations to facilitate the operation of the Department of Baccalaureate Nursing.
• Implement a program evaluation plan that ensures outcomes achievement of strategic goals and objectives of the School of Nursing and the department.
• Ensure compliance with state and federal laws and standards of other regulatory agencies.
• Approve recommendations for candidates to graduate.
• Provide leadership for formulating and revising academic policies.
• Provide leadership in curriculum evaluation/revision.
• Recruit faculty and students for the School of Nursing.
• Collaborate with the Simulated Nursing Skills Laboratory instructor to coordinate skills laboratory activities.
• Execute other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Earned doctoral degree in nursing or a related field. Eligible for academic appointment to associate or professor rank
Licensing and Certifications
State licensure to practice in Mississippi
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Teaching and administrative experience in an accredited nursing program of an institution of
I. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to sit at a workstation for extended periods
2. Occasional ability to lift, carry, and put away parcels weighing up to 50 pounds
3. Normal physical mobility, which includes movement from place to place on the job taking distance and speed into account
4. Normal physical strength to handle routine office materials and tools
5. Normal endurance
ALCORN STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.
InsideHigherEd.com - 13 months ago