Will: Will be a member of the Technical Education group and will report to the Manager of Technical Education. Will be responsible for the coordination and preparation of technical and leadership course materials. This includes: planning, organizing, researching, writing, editing, formating and producing education material and products for technical internal audiences through media such as course books, Web sites, brochures, newsletters, presentation, reports, proposals and policies and procedures. Will be responsible for intake through printing and distribution, as well as preparation of required publication components. Prepare course/workshop templates, design text covers and produce course materials. May consult with technical staff for clarification and perform a variety of levels of editing. Will be expected to keep authors, management and development team informed of document status, including cost and schedule. May provide input to authors and instructional development team on questions of language, style, document structure, and audience. Prepare documents electronically. Under general direction, will communicate with personnel at all levels. Troubleshoot documentation issues and problems; develop solutions that are timely, low-cost, and innovative. Make recommendations for the development of innovative procedures. Act as liaison to external vendors.
- Plans and executes creation of complex communication products for technical and general audiences including course materials, and content for internal and external websites.
- Interacts with scientists and engineers, and translates complex technical material into communication products that are understandable by the technical community.
- Analyzes and plans complex content required for communication products.
- Edits complex technical materials.
- Uses and/or modifies writing tools and applications to build text/content for multiple media (i.e. reports, technical manuals, documentation, etc.).
- Works independently on important assignments and projects with only limited supervision, typically receiving only general instructions.
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment to compare and evaluate various methods, approaches, and resources and decide which will best accomplish each aspect of such assignments and projects.
- Responsible for completing significant project or assignment milestones.
- Regular use of creativity and innovation to address important issues.
- Analysis of situation or data requires identification, review and interpretation of complex factors as well as decisions as to policies, procedures and practices.
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to significant problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
- Frequent interaction with customers and peers inside and outside organization on significant matters.
- Occasional interactions with industry organizations.
- Contributes as a key team member on teams inside or outside own organization, project, activity or function.
- May lead teams.
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree in communications, or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines.
- Broad knowledge and experience in editing a high-volume of training materials, preparaing and formatting PowerPoint presentations, and working in a training environment.
- Extensive understanding and wide application of principles, theories, concepts and techniques in writing and editing a variety of types of documentation.
- Extensive knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in standard writing guidelines and editing procedures.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet commitments.
- Excellent organizational skills, including electronic file management.
- Ability to interact with staff and subject matter experts.
- Ability to be flexible, communicate clearly, and handle sensitive information according to procedure.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Ease with converting file formats and electronically integrating art with text.
- Ability to coordinate and work on moderately complex tasks to meet customer requirements for schedule, cost, and quality. Strong people skills and strong customer focus. Experience working successfully as part of a team.
If you'd like to discover new worlds with our innovative team and enjoy a competitive salary and impressive benefits with the renowned leader in space exploration, apply now!
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style guidelines and editing procedures.
- Advanced skills in the use of Microsoft Office Applications.
- Experience using HTML, graphics software applications, file-conversion technology, and a variety of software file formats.
- Familiarity with levels of editing.
- Extensive knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
Great minds are open minds. Equal opportunity employer.
Jet Propulsion Laboratory - 4 years ago