Responsible for contributing to the inpatient nursing process by performing patient care and non-patient care activities as delegated by a licensed nurse; maintaining the organization and reception of the service area desk to ensure communication and smooth workflow during the assigned shift; transcribing orders for patient care for timely implementation by licensed personnel and maintenance of the patient medical record. |
Education, Experience and Skills Requirements
Must be able to follow procedures and instructions given by the licensed nurse. Strong Communication, customer service, multi-tasking and organizational skills are needed on a daily basis. Must be able to acquire a basic knowledge of patient care principles, medical terminology and equipment within the assigned service area. Graduate of a Health Unit Coordinator or Medical Secretary program or equivalent work experience is preferred.
Whether working in Minnesota or North Dakota, certification is highly preferred. If working in North Dakota and not a Certified Nursing Assistant, must be registered as a Nurse Assistant through the North Dakota Department of Health within four months from the date of initial employment. Certification is required if designated by law (i.e. Home Care).
Job Specific Competencies
- Assessment: Contributes to the assessment of the health status of patients by collecting basic objective and subjective data, identified by the licensed nurse, from observations and interviews.
- Diagnosis: Identifies basic signs and symptoms of deviations from normal health status and provides basic information which licensed nurses use in the identification of problems and needs.
- Planning: Contributes to the development of the plan of care for individuals by reporting basic data.
- Implementation: Participates in the giving of direct patient care by assisting with activities of daily living, providing comfort measures and emotional support to patients whose condition is stable and predictable, documenting and communicating completion of delegated nursing interventions and patient responses and seeks guidance and direction when appropriate.
- Evaluation: Contributes to the evaluation by documenting and communicating patient responses and assists with collecting data.
- Prepares work areas and equipment to facilitate the licensed nurse/provider in performing patient care.
- Transcribes and initiates the process for implementation of physician orders in an accurate and timely manner to ensure optimum patient care; performs order sign off as assigned.
- Maintains individual patient medical records to ensure a complete and accurate patient chart is available.
- Organizes and maintains the service area desk in an orderly manner to ensure efficiency in locating patient information, etc. as requested.
- Demonstrates the ability to accurately refer information to appropriate person(s) and/or service areas.
- Monitors patient activity via camera monitoring system as needed.
- Interacts with customers in a warm and friendly way.
- Takes immediate action to meet customer requests or needs.
- Listens to understand what customers have to say.
- Recognizes safety hazards and takes corrective action; seeking assistance when needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of operational policies and procedures.
- Performs work safely, without causing harm or risk to self, others or property.
- Makes a decision considering the impact of the decision on other areas.
- Initiates collaboration with others outside of service area.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to the principles, values, and ethics of the organization.
- Models accountability for learning by sharing knowledge and learning from others.
- Builds effective working relationships.
- Expresses appreciation to others for their work.
- Treats others with respect.
- Demonstrates both knowledge and application of Sanford policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Facilitates and supports change within the Sanford Health.
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning for themselves and staff.
Information Management Competencies
- Demonstrates skill in accessing, preparing and using information as relevant to position.
- Verbalizes and demonstrates knowledge of procedures for maintaining security, confidentiality and integrity of employee, patient, family and other medical information.
- Demonstrates ability to collect, analyze and present data as appropriate to position.
- Demonstrates skill in use of equipment relevant to position; verbalizes knowledge of appropriate safety procedures.
- Consistently informs appropriate person of problems encountered with repairs or calibration of equipment.
- This position is classified as a Category I position under OSHA guidelines with high risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials.
View Physical Requirements
Sanford Health - 19 months ago