Under the direction of the General Counsel, the person in this position will be responsible for acting as an agent for Simpson Investment Company and its subsidiaries (“Simpson”) with regard to all legal matters, liabilities, and rights. Incumbent must provide sound, timely, and cost-effective legal advice and representation to the Company in transactions, disputes, claims, compliance, and assessment of risks through effective use of in-house resources and outside counsel. Incumbent must advise management on strategic compliance issues and promote Company-wide compliance with laws, regulations, permits, and Company policies through effective communication and training, monitoring, reporting, investigation, and corrective action. No litigation work will be required.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
(1) Review, negotiate, and draft contracts, leases, and agreements prior to entering into by the Company
(2) Provide legal advice on any legal matters pertaining to the Company
(3) Provide direction on any suits or claims brought by or against the Company
(4) Consult the Company and its Management about new laws or regulations, whether local, state, or federal
(5) Act as a legal consultant for the Company in any legal matters, including discovery proceedings, mediations, arbitrations, and hearings
(6) Act as recordkeeping custodian for legal documents of the Company
(7) Supervise outside counsel and manage relationship
(8) Draft letters and correspondence on behalf of Simpson
(9) Prepare internal and external documents to communicate to Management, the Board of Directors, employees, and external stakeholders
(10) Implement training and educational programs on compliance issues
Incumbent may be called on to participate as legal representative to other organizations, including industry associations such as the Association of Washington Business and the Tacoma/Pierce County Chamber of Commerce, or to promote the Company’s corporate citizenship and community involvement.
The position of Senior Counsel communicates and gives legal advice on a regular basis to all levels of management within the Company and its subsidiaries. The position frequently communicates and gives legal advice to the President; Vice-President and General Managers; Director of Human Resources; Vice President, Operational Services; Vice President and Treasurer; Corporate Controller; Director, Internal Audit; plant managers; sales, credit and procurement staff; and other management levels.
DECISIONS, ANALYSIS OR KEY PROBLEMS SOLVED:
New analysis is provided in rendering legal advice in areas where legal precedents are not established. Experience and judgment are key factors in making recommendations where the factual situation is different from that in which a decision has previously been rendered.
Qualifications – Required:
More than three years of experience in law firm, corporate law office, and/or government agency as legal counsel. Law firm experience may be given greater weight.
EDUCATION AND FORMAL TRAINING:
B.A. and J.D., active member in good standing of a State Bar Association
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to work independently, create his/her own work, develop work schedules for work to be done, and be sensitive to deadlines.
• Highly experienced attorney whose capability and experience has been demonstrated through the management of complex matters such as large case litigation, difficult contract negotiations, acquisitions, dispositions, or financing transactions.
• Demonstrated proficiency in one or more areas that have high exposure to risk for Company business and interpersonal skills necessary to gain the respect and confidence of others and to relate well in social and organization settings.
• Ability to work well within organization and capability of dealing regularly with senior management on legal problems.
• Demonstrated ability to organize complex matters and information in a manner than will permit ease in problem solving, management, and communication to others, and demonstrated proficiency in planning for dealing with such complex matters so that others involved understand the issues and the proposed methods for resolving them.
• Ability to assimilate facts and the law applicable to the facts and produce acceptable approaches to them in a manner that provides for reasonable and practical solutions in complex situations.
• Knowledge of the fundamentals of business.
Qualifications – Preferred:
At least five years of experience in law firm, corporate law office, and/or government agency as legal counsel.
Membership in Washington State Bar Association
Travel Required? No
Founded in 1890, Simpson is one of the oldest, continuously operating forest products companies in the Pacific Northwest. Today, Simpson...