This position involves working 2pm-8pm Tues- Fri to help with after hours admissions.
The Admissions Nurse is responsible for receiving referrals, contacting the attending physician to secure an order for admission, and admitting appropriate patients to hospice services. He/she makes an initial visit to the patient and family to explain hospice services, evaluates, admits patient, and initiates initial plan of care with authorization of the attending physician and medical director. He/she collaborates with the interdisciplinary team, completes the admission process, and faxes required paperwork to corporate.
All duties and responsibilities require professionalism, sound judgment, and effective communication skills.
1. Supports agency and corporate policies, goals, and objectives.
2. Processes patient referrals.
- Promotes a positive working relationship between agency and corporate personnel.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings.
- Promotes hospice philosophy.
- Communicates identified needs and potential solutions to supervisor.
3. Admits patient to hospice services.
- Receives referrals from physicians, patients, families, friends, and community.
- Contacts physician to secure an order for admission.
- Contacts insurance company for pre-certification authorization.
- Schedules appointment with patient and family for assessment visit.
4. Completes admission process according to agency / corporate policy.
- Explains hospice services and benefits to patients, family members, and significant others.
- Assesses patient's eligibility and admits to service, as appropriate.
- Initiates initial plan of care with authorization of the attending physician and medical director.
- Determines appropriate service and financial category for each new admission.
5. Promotes a positive working relationship with agency and other health care providers.
- Collaborates with other IDT members regarding initial plan of care, patient's condition, and other essential information.
- Obtains verbal order from attending physician and medical director to implement plan of care.
- Faxes appropriate information to pharmacy and call team.
- Completes admission paperwork and faxes to corporate.
- Provides back-up support for other nursing positions, i.e. patient care supervisor, case manager, and quality improvement, as needed.
- Works with long term care staff and hospital staff to provide hospice services to terminally ill patients.
- Assists facility staff with discharge planning.
- Promotes hospice awareness to potential referral sources.
- Markets referral sources, as directed.
- Registered Nurse, preferably with a Bachelor's degree, currently licensed in the state of employment, with broad experience in nursing assessment, preferably experience in hospice, home health, or oncology.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, to include some evenings and weekends. Has a valid driver's license and auto liability insurance.
- Ability to provide own transportation and perform duties in the hospice service area.
- Ability to meet physical job requirements as specified by attachment.
Hospice Compassus - 17 months ago
Opening its first hospice in 1979, Hospice Compassus is a family of community-based hospices. Our nationwide network is a vast resource...