Master's Degree in Social Work (MSW)
Social Work services provide assessments, crisis interventions, counseling, and collaborative planning for patients within their scope of practice. Their services focus on coping strategies, financial assistance, community resources and assessment and planning for discharge needs.
1. Performs psychosocial assessment and screening of patients for discharge needs to include making referrals and monitoring for compliance with/adherence to plan of care.
2. Manages individuals with focus on high risk populations across the continuum of care. Refers the patient to the appropriate community resources with the patient’s understanding and cooperation. Acts as liaison with community and medical agencies to coordinate appropriate referrals for services.
3. Promotes patient/family acceptance and follow through with the medical recommendations/plan of treatment as developed by the patient, family, physician and members of the multidisciplinary team.
4. Coordinates and participates in family conferences as well as participates in case conferences to facilitate the effective treatment of the patient’s medical condition or his/her rate of recovery.
5. Provides social work related in-service programs to staff as appropriate.
6. Documents all patient communications and coordination in the medical record as appropriate.
7. Obtains minimum of 16 CEUs per annual evaluation period
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
· Excellent oral/written communication skills necessary to positively interact with patients, patient’s families, visitors, physicians and other staff.
· Ability to function independently and as a team member.
· Computer knowledge preferred.
· Ability to assess, evaluate, explain, teach, problem solve using critical thinking; and perform calculations.
· M SW graduate from an accredited college/university
· BLS within 60 days of hire
· Prior experience as a social worker
The Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) is the benefits division of the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VBA provides benefits divided...