Interest Sub Category:
Engineering - Geotechnical
Job Title :
Principal Engineer – Mining
Type of Position:
Salt Lake City
• BS in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering.
• Minimum 15 years relevant experience along with multi-disciplinary project management experience required.
• Must have PE license.
• A significant understanding and clear examples of success related to civil/geotechnical business initiatives throughout the Mountain Region.
• Effective leadership skills in driving effective project execution of civil/geotechnical mining projects.
• Strong communications skills and an ability to interface with personnel at all levels - both within the client organization and also within the local and regional URS organization.
• An executive presence, yet be approachable and comfortable in an "open door" culture. A high degree of personal and professional integrity will be a key factor in the success of the individual.
• Interpersonal skills required to interface with key customer senior executives in support of sales for new work and to enhance relationships with existing clients.
• A strong work ethic and the ability to set and achieve personal and organizational goals within a culturally dynamic and tradition rich environment.
Qualified applicants who are offered a position must pass a pre-employment substance abuse test.
This is an opportunity to join our dynamic and growing SLC office as a Sr. Business Development Leader and Principal Engineer in our office. The focus of this position will be to develop sales and lead major civil/geotechnical project pursuits within the mining industry. As a Sr. Business Development Leader, he/she will have two objectives with equal importance. First is to increase the revenues for URS' engineering consulting services to our existing mining clients. The second objective is to grow our engineering sales by adding new mining companies to URS' list of clients. As a Principal Engineer, he/she will have the additional objective of leading a team of technical specialists to execute civil/geotechnical engineering investigations, analyses, design, and construction support for the mining industry. These projects will range from pre-feasibility level evaluations to developing construction packages for tailing impoundments, heap leach facilities, mine water supply systems, and mine reclamation.
The successful candidate will have a close working relationship with the Vice President, SLC Office Manager, and the SLC Business Development Director to drive business with existing and potential clients throughout the Mountain Region. It is essential for this individual to expand new business opportunities by proactively building relationships with both new and existing clients, as well as selling the fully integrated engineering, construction and technical services of the new URS to the mining industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
An important responsibility of this position is to work effectively with the URS and Washington Divisions' regional and local operations management and business line leaders to lead, coordinate and ultimately develop effective strategies for business development with the mining industry in the Mountain Region.
• Develop and actively build relationships with existing clients to drive revenue growth for the SLC office.
• Develop and bring new client accounts to URS to increase top line sales growth for the SLC office.
• Effectively communicate and coordinate with regional and local operations and business line leaders to grow our business with the mining industry throughout the region.
• Identify potential markets/business pursuits consistent with our risk and financial management profile to grow URS' share of the mining market.
• Spearhead the development of business relationships with new and existing mining clients that maximize the overall growth strategies of the SLC office.
• Leverage the abilities of other technical specialists by involving them with client marketing meetings, presentations, proposals, statements of qualifications, etc.
• Serve as a mentor to junior and mid-level engineers to grow their technical and project management skills by reviewing technical reports, providing guidance on analyses, and overseeing their financial and client management on projects.
• Serve as a project/program manager on civil/geotechnical investigations, analyses, design, and construction support with the mining industry.
• Function as a civil/geotechnical specialist for tailing impoundments, heap leach facilities, mine water supply systems, and reclamation within the mining industry.
Ideal Candidate Requirements/Attributes
The chosen individual will have a proven track record in identifying and capitalizing on opportunities to increase revenue growth, expand market penetration, and successfully manage civil/geotechnical projects with the mining industry in the Mountain Region.
With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction...