Title: Manager - Air Brake Systems
Department: Maintenance of Equipment
Post Date: 01/11/2013
Close Date: 01/25/2013
Hay Point Evaluation: 568
2012 Salary Range: Minimum: $66,937/Midpoint: $83,671
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Location: Hillside Support Facility
Reports To: Deputy General Manager-Operations Engineering
This is a Non-Represented Position.
Please note that this position has been designated as a "Policy Maker," pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
This position provides technical oversight, troubleshooting support and guidance to Diesel, MU and Support Shops to ensure regulatory compliance, increased reliability and thorough repairs for Air Brake Systems. It also supports the Air Brake Age Exploration program for LIRR through testing, inspection and documentation.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Support Air Brake Age Exploration initiative, acting as a liaison with vendors and the Federal Railroad Administration.
- Support daily Air Brake Shop operations with technical assistance on testing and troubleshooting.
- Support Maintenance of Equipment in joint meetings and task force groups relating to air brake operation, maintenance and regulation with Transportation and Training personnel.
- Support Maintenance of Equipment in technical discussions relating to Air Brake with the Federal Railroad Administration.
- Support troubleshooting and Reliability Centered Maintenance planning assistance for all compressed air systems on LIRR rolling stock.
- Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Enforce discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review direct reports and approve performance appraisals. Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example. Provide a safe, reliable fleet to LIRR customers.
- Perform other assignments as requested by senior management.
DESIRABLE /PREFERRED EXPERIENCE/SKILLS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), Association of American Railroads (AAR) and American Passenger Transportation Association (APTA) regulations, especially pertaining to rolling stock air brake systems.
- Must possess detailed technical knowledge of rolling stock air brake systems, especially those in use on LIRR.
- Must possess five or more years experience in railroad airbrake systems.
- Must possess the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Must possess the ability to read and understand electrical and pneumatic schematics.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Advanced degree in a relevant technical discipline or management.
- Experience in machine-shop operation.
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e. physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://portal.mtabsc.info/psp/PXPRD/EXTRANET/PAEXT/h/?tab=DEFAULT, sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to Job Listings (Internal).
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.