Program Director – |
Office of Mental Health Supported Housing – Bronx/Queens, NY
Comunilife is a premier provider of housing, mental health, and HIV/AIDS services in New York City. Our programs benefit more than 2,500 people each year – helping them overcome challenges related to extreme poverty; chronic homelessness; serious behavioral and medical issues; and, linguistic and acculturation barriers.
Our staff members work with a supportive team of supervisors and peers, receive in-depth training and ongoing opportunities for professional development, and, are part of an organization that recognizes, celebrates, and promotes personal and cultural strengths.
Communilife is one of NYC’s major providers of supported scatter site units for people with mental illness. We serve formerly homeless people with serious and persistent mental illness (SPMIs) and other significant medical and substance abuse issues – providing these residents with well-maintained, individual apartments and a full range of care coordination and supportive services. The vast majority of program residents achieve long-term housing stability; many remain in our units for ten years or more – paying rent on time and in full. A significant segment of these residents obtain and maintain paid employment, and a small but consistent percentage move on to independent housing.
We are looking for a Program Director for our Mental Health Supported Housing Program. The program provides a full range of care management and supportive services to clients to enable them to live independently in the community.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Planning, developing, monitoring day-to-day operations of 300 units of supported housing in the Bronx and Queens for seriously and persistently mentally ill (SPMI) persons, many of whom also have substance abuse disorders.
- Supervising an Assistant Program Director for Queens and a Clinical Supervisor for the Bronx housing units who in turn supervise care coordination and supportive services.
- Maintaining contracted levels of service.
- Building relationships with other local agencies, such as state psychiatric institutions, community residences and hospitals.
- Communicating with OMH, HRA and other relevant state, city, and borough-based agencies, programs and service providers.
- Working with landlords to secure available, appropriate and affordable apartments for clients.
- Conducting site visits and emergency home visits.
- Client screening and assigning clients to staff.
- Coordinating and supervising all housing care management activities (service plans, locating apartments and moving, psychological support, preventing eviction, education about independent living skills and safety, advocacy with landlords and housing courts, facilitating the clients’ rehabilitation process including referrals for psychosocial and vocational services and various housing options).
- Participating in client case conferences.
- Staff development, including new staff orientation, supervising staff, performance evaluations and staff training.
- Solid clinical experience with homeless, mentally ill, substance abuse afflicted adult population.
- Candidate must be community minded with demonstrated knowledge of psychiatric diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
- Three years staff supervisory experience.
- Ability to manage daily operations of Comunilife’s OMH Bronx and Queens Supported Housing Programs.
- Ability to administer and monitor program services, and understand program regulations and guidelines.
- Ability to build relationships with other agencies and other Comunilife programs.
- Experience with evaluation and management of social service staff.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and integrity.
- Ability to organize and write procedures in a logical/methodical manner, well-developed administrative skills and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills (writing, oral and active listening)
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and an excellent and comprehensive program of benefits for eligible employees that includes: health, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, flexible spending accounts, pension, 401K and paid time off.
- Masters Degree in Social Work (MSW)
- LMSW or LCSW required. LCSW – R preferred.
- At least five years of administrative and supervisory experience is required preferably in a supported housing program.
- Bilingual/Spanish and experience with adults with substance abuse disorders is a plus.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com . Please refer to the specific job title for which you are applying when submitting your application. Cover letters and resumes may also be faxed to Human Resources at 212-564-3445.
Comunilife is an equal opportunity employer.
Comunilife - 5 months ago
Comunilife and its affiliate not-for-profits, Home Assistance Technicians, Inc. (H.A.T.) and Taste of the Bronx, Inc. (T.O.B.), currently pr...