Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
Under Armour is the most dynamic brand to enter the American sports apparel and footwear market in the past 30 years. Its product line continues to grow and expand to cover the full set of needs of athletes, but what truly sets Under Armour apart is its’ unique, powerful, and authentic connection with athletes and people who share the athletic spirit. The Under Armour brand and story is grounded in the innovation of the “compression shirt”, but it has evolved beyond that beginning to create a movement: the success of the underdog thru an immense will to achieve. The movement has caught up a broad range of athletes: from the sixteen year old linebacker who feels powerful in UA baselayer to the 32 year old marathoner feels empowered, athletic, and cool in UA heat gear. In short, the most innovative products and powerful story telling, authenticated by “home town hero” athletes, has created the powerful movement that is Under Armour.
Over the past few years, Under Armour has begun attacking opportunities in new markets, new categories, and new channels. As we have layered on these new businesses, it has become increasingly clear that we need to build a strategic planning and analysis capability – to assess opportunities up front, to shape those opportunities over time, and to assist in prioritizing investments (of people and capital). To that end, we are assembling a strategy, analytics, and insight leadership team – with a goal of providing UA world class thinking and strategic leadership as well as becoming a magnet for talent within the broader UA team.
At this time, Under Armour is looking for a Director of Strategic Projects to lead the team that owns the “deep dive” project teams within the Strategic Planning and Insights team. This role will be responsible for developing and driving action oriented recommendations, in partnership with business unit and functional leaders, on our most critical strategic priorities. The role will work closely with the entire senior leadership team in identifying these priorities as well as organizing and deploying resources to understand root causes of issues, develop pragmatic recommendations, and communicating those actions across the organization. Ultimately, this role will be critical to ensuring we stay on our strategic path while removing barriers to our longer term success as a company.
Key responsibilities: Activities owned by this role
The Director, Strategic Projects is responsible for all aspects of the development, management, and execution of strategic projects identified by the Under Armour management team. Specific activities include:
Working with the leader of the strategic planning team to identify the critical priorities over the course of the next 12-18 months;
Organizing the teams resources to address these priorities;
Engaging with the business leaders on each project to identify objectives, build workplans, and set timing;
Engaging with the project teams to set expectations, drive problem solving, develop recommendations, and create/deliver communications;
Work across the organization to support specific analysis and ensure alignment on recommendations;
Following up, post project, with the business leaders to ensure the desired impact is being delivered, and to assist in making adjustments to the execution plan if required;
Driving and maintaining an active database and set of insights of our top 2-3 competitors, along with “refreshed” POV on potential strategic actions;
Managing and maintaining our relationship with NPD and other market-based sources of data.
In addition to these specific activities, this person will be responsible for the ongoing development and growth of the strategic projects team. This includes supporting teammates in exploring their areas of interest, providing opportunities for teammates to work on their development priorities, and providing counsel on longer term career opportunities within Under Armour.
Skills and experience: Requirements for success in the role
While a broad range of skills, capabilities, and experiences will be required to be successful in this role, and within Under Armour, the following set of skills will set the ideal candidate apart from the crowd:
- Intellectual curiosity…the need to know why and how things works and the desire to get to “base metal” to deliver unique insight
- Pragmatic problem solver with a solutions oriented mindset…the ability to deploy the 20/80 rule with a bias to action
- Creativity…the ability to push beyond the obvious and the comfort of going into “unchartered” territory in setting out recommendations
- Dynamic leader…someone who can push past barriers in a respectful, but persuasive manner…the ability to lead teams thru difficult circumstances and “come out the other side” with the team still with them
- Listener…someone who is open to and understands the value of listening in gaining insights and moving organizations forward
- Project management…a history of setting up and managing projects in a complex, fast moving environment
- Communication…an articulate communicator who can quickly synthesize data into insights and action and communicate it, verbally and in written form, to both senior and more junior people in an organization
- Passion…the desire to deliver the best of themselves and their team in all situations
- A track record of success in an intense problem solving environment…in leading teams, identifying core issues and solutions, and having positive impact on organizations
- A strong fit with our values…passion for athletics, respectful of what Under Armour has accomplished to date, and an underdog mindset with an intense will to win
- A sincere and contagious passion for building Under Armour…today and into future
Under Armour is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we are committed to diversity in the workplace. We encourage qualified diverse candidates to apply. Under Armour does not discriminate against any candidate on the basis of race, gender, disability, religion, national origin, age, or any other protected category.
Under Armour - 23 months ago