The Senior Systems Engineer is the lead technical and architectural resource for the server infrastructure managed by Global Hosting Services. They are responsible for the interoperability of Thermo Fisher based applications and server related operating systems and patches to ensure optimum performance. They provide operating system level technical support as well as project leadership for hosting related strategic initiatives.
- Enhance, maintain, and administer the current physical and virtual server infrastructure systems.
- Recommend and implement system upgrades, enhancements, installations, and configurations.
- Set direction and policy on current and future Unix technologies and architectural solutions. Participate in strategic planning.
- Develop and maintain server infrastructure documentation including architecture diagrams, metrics, and operating procedures.
- Ability to translate business requirements into technical designs to meet business needs.
- Responsible for recommending and implemeting server OS standards and administration best practices.
- Develop project plans and lead complex projects from start to finish in accordance with our project governance standards.
- Troubleshoot problems with support vendors to find solutions to complex problems. Conduct root cause analysis.
- Investigate, resolve and implement process improvements to existing systems and associated procedures.
- Enforce company’s infrastructure architecture standards and policies to maximize efficiency and support platform compatibility.
- Maintain the security of server environment so that it is “audit ready” at all times. This includes both SOX and PCI requirements.
- Enhance remote server access solutions.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field. Equivalent work experience acceptable.
- 5-7 years experience installing, imaging and maintaining Unix operating systems (Solaris / Redhat) and associated server hardware.
- Advanced technical knowledge and experience with Solaris and Redhat operating systems. This includes both a strong understanding of hosting and disaster recovery concepts and techniques.
- Ability to explain and champion technical concepts to a broad audience
- Strong analytical and project management skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Must possess excellent organization skills and ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing technologies.
- Experience with SAN attached storage, Avamar backup technology and Systems Management tools, a plus.
- 5-7 years of Unix (Solaris, Redhat) hosting experience in a large Data Center.
- Ability to provide strategic thought leadership for the Unix hosting infrastructure.
- Demonstrated skills in process improvement.
- Superior troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
Thermo Fisher Scientific - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard -
Thermo Fisher Scientific’s 50,000 employees share a single mission: to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and...