New York Public Radio is seeking a hands-on Director of Accounting to manage all accounting functions of the organization including revenue and expense accounting, cash management/reconciliation, balance sheet management, monthly close process, account analysis and payroll. The Director of Accounting is responsible for establishing and enforcing the company's revenue and expense policies and procedures. This position is an integral part of the finance team and is responsible for the accuracy of the general ledger of the organization and ensuring organizational compliance with general accounting controls and generally accepted accounting principles. Manages a team of four.
- Oversee the general accounting function which includes revenue and expense accounting, treasury management, and balance sheet management.
- Manage all transactional processing functions including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, and Treasury.
- Responsible for the monthly, quarterly and year-end close process and workpapers.
- Determine the proper revenue recognition of the Underwriting, Membership, Development, Planned Giving, and Production revenue streams.
- Accountable for proper recognition of temporarily and permanently restricted net assets on a monthly basis and for the preparation of required documentation for internal and external auditors.
- Maintain an on-going working relationship with department heads to ensure revenue and expenditures are properly recorded.
- Responsible for managing the annual external and internal audit process and various other audits to include 403(b), A-133, funder and insurance audits.
- Prepare annual tax filings to include Form 990, 990-T and CHAR500.
- Partner with Development and Programming Departments to develop grant budgets and provide required periodic reporting on the grant spending.
- Develop ad-hoc analysis and reporting to department Directors and Producers and/or Senior Management.
- Provide technical guidance, problem solving assistance, and policy interpretation.
- Assist in setting, implementing and monitoring internal controls, accounting policies and financial reporting procedures.
- Spearhead implementation of software improvements to advance processes surrounding respective disciplines.
- Manage, train and develop accounting staff.
All positions at NYPR require:
- BS Degree in Accounting or Finance required. MBA and/or an advanced degree in business, accounting or related field preferred.
- CPA certification required.
- Effective management of staff required.
- 10+ years accounting and financial reporting experience.
- Experience in a not-for-profit organization or with not-for-profit accounting is preferred.
- Experience in broadcast, digital media, publishing or other content-related industry is preferred.
- Experience developing sophisticated, data-driven financial models and analytics to support the station planning and revenue forecast process.
- Excellent technical computer skills and the ability to master various applications required.
- Proven track record of promotion and advancement required.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills required.
- The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively with the senior leadership team, colleagues, staff and external partners and provide motivation at all levels of an organization
- Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds
- Use of a computer, telephone and other office and/or broadcast equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods including but not limited to; email, internet based applications for internal and external communications
- Affinity for New York Public Radio; WNYC and/or WQXR content and mission a plus
- Compliance with WNYC/WQXR policies and guidelines
- Ability to work extended hours as needed
New York Public Radio is New York's premier public radio franchise, comprising WNYC, WQXR, The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space, and New...