This position oversees the activities of about 10 to 12 retail units in a given geographical area and is responsible for profit and loss within that area. The District Manager works with Store Managers to maximize sales, control costs and ensure adherence to Company policies, standards and applicable laws. Emphasis is placed on training and developing Store Managers in all operations of running a successful store.
1. Promotes a positive work environment and maintains good employee, customer and community relations. Responds to inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community; consults with Region Director or appropriate management personnel on planned actions or responses.
2. Visits assigned stores on a regular basis; conducts a monthly inspection of general facility and property conditions (including gasoline and food service facilities; parking lots, telephone booths, signs, car wash and air/vac equipment and landscaping); and submits a written report to the Region Director.
a. Identifies and reports maintenance or repair needs to the Maintenance Department in a timely manner; may perform some maintenance functions; follows-up to ensure necessary maintenance and repairs are completed.
b. Notifies the Region Director of any major equipment failure or maintenance issue as they occur; consults with Region Director prior to disposing of Company equipment or assets.
3. Ensure that store product (gas, food and merchandise) is effectively displayed and priced in accordance with the Companys gasoline and merchandise marketing plans and programs including store layout, pricing and gasoline pricing strategies, inventory levels, displays, signage and promotions.
a. Monitors product turns and ensures that each store maintains an appropriate level of inventory; works with Store Managers on merchandising strategies.
b. Resolves routine vendor concerns; consults with Region Director or appropriate marketing department personnel on complex issues.
c. Monitors write-offs, mark-downs, bad merchandise or returns for compliance with Company guidelines.
d. Identifies and communicates any special marketing or merchandising needs to Division Director.
e. Encourages the use of suggestive selling and other techniques to maximize sales.
4. Monitors local trends and competitor activity; conducts regular competitive surveys and reports results or events of note to Region Director. Makes recommendations to Region Director regarding products, vendors, pricing, layout and programs to enhance or maintain sales.
5. Enforces Company sales policies and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations in the district.
a. Ensures that employees are trained to comply with regulations regarding the sale of age-restricted products (i.e., alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, lottery tickets, fireworks and adult magazines).
b. Assists in the development and implementation of action plans to improve compliance.
6. Reviews profit and loss statements and monitor factors contributing to profitability. Consults with Region Director on plans or actions to increase business and efficiency in the district.
a. Monitors inventory control procedures to ensure retail and gasoline inventory levels remain within Company standards.
b. Reviews financial statements and trains Store Managers to read, understand and use the information to measure store performance.
c. Maintains awareness of operating expenses and coaches Store Managers to identify opportunities to minimize controllable expenses.
d. Identifies, researches and explains any sales, cash or operating discrepancy or variance; takes appropriate actions to reduce or eliminate discrepancies.
e. Notifies the Region Director of any breach in state, local or federal regulations.
7. Directly supervises the activities of Store Managers and may supervise other store or food service employees and/or activities.
a. Provides orientation and training for Store Managers and ensures that duties, responsibilities, authority and accountability is defined and understood.
b. Develops Assistant Store Managers to ensure capable management succession for each store.
c. Plans, assigns and guides the work of the store management team; appraises performance; counsels and disciplines store employees. Authorizes pay and employment actions in accordance with Store Operations Wage & Salary Administration Plan.
d. Recruits, screens, selects and hires qualified individuals with the assistance of the Store Manager to ensure proper staffing of all authorized store positions; assists Store Managers to schedule employees from other stores/districts when a store or shift is understaffed.
e. Promotes a positive, team-oriented environment; keeps staff regularly informed of store and district goals and results; changes in policies and procedures and other information related to the operation of the store.
8. Enforces and follows all government requirements, health and safety codes, food brand inspection standards, and the Company policies, procedures and standards that apply to the conduct of business.
a. Consults with Region Director for operational directives, Company operating policy interpretation, strategy, objectives and employment decisions.
b. Consults with Region Director and/or appropriate management areas about legal questions, obligations, policy interpretations and planned actions.
9. Promotes a healthy and safe environment for employees and customers and protects Company assets including information, cash, merchandise, gasoline, equipment and property.
a. Ensures adequate training is provided to employees concerning safety laws and regulations, use of security equipment, devices and techniques; proper cash handling, etc.
b. Ensures that incidents (employee or customer injury, gas drive-off, theft, property damage, chemical release, improper waste disposal, etc.) are reported to appropriate parties in a timely manner.
c. Ensures that store and food service units, if applicable, are in compliance with health and safety code requirements as well as Company or Brand Food operating standards.
d. Reports any situation in which unsafe, unlawful or unethical conduct is or might be occurring.
10. Monitors financial, management and/or information reports and interprets data to identify, explain and correct potential problems.
a. Conducts and attends periodic audits to ensure correct store reporting.
b. Reviews store accounting paperwork, employee documents and time cards are accurately completed and submitted on a timely basis each week.
c. Prepares monthly operating estimates and reports; assists in developing annual sales and margin budgets.
- Knowledge of basic business practices and economic factors in the convenience store industry.
- Knowledge of human resources policies and practices involved in recruiting, selecting, training and developing employees.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows operating system & Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to listen, understand and explain information and ideas in a clear and understandable manner.
- Ability to effectively analyze information to make decisions and solve problems.
- Ability to work independently and effectively.
- Physical Demands: Work requires frequent driving and driving at night, standing and walking; occasional to frequent bending, stooping or crouching; frequent lifting/carrying of up to 10 pounds and occasional lifting/carrying of up to 50 pounds; and occasional climbing and descending ladders.
Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelors degree plus 1 to 2 years of retail store management experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and related work experience.
Certificates & Licenses: Valid state motor vehicle operators license.
Working Conditions: Work includes regular travel throughout the assigned area and occasional trips outside the area and overnight stays. Work can include long hours; occasional week-ends, holidays, and trips outside the area.
The Pantry, Inc. offers competitive compensation and benefits packages. It is the policy and practice of The Pantry, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other criteria deemed unlawful under any applicable laws and to provide reasonable accommodations as required by law.
Headquartered in Cary, North Carolina, The Pantry, Inc. is a leading independently operated convenience store chain in the southeastern...