System Engineer will apply a variety of infrastructure experience to implementing and testing new business solutions, hardware refreshes and configurations enhancements. This individual will work closely with software development teams, production operations teams and support groups. He/she will be able to build servers based on requirements and design documents. Other responsibilities include: Creating and testing documentation of system builds, LINUX administration (upgrades, patching, testing and monitoring) on development and test servers in lab environment.
• Shares responsibility for the day-to-day support, maintenance and monitoring of development & testing equipment running Red Hat Linux.
• Troubleshooting with development teams and vendor support teams.
• Making LINUX OS changes, testing changes and documenting changes for hand off to production teams.
• Perform resource monitoring, performance tuning, and scaling of infrastructure as needed on the RHEL systems.
• Use & customize scripts to kickstart RHEL systems; setup other automations to streamline repetitive administration.
• Develop, implement, test and document best practices/standards
• Keep abreast of latest changes and feature availability for Linux, email/webmail, HA, Cisco BAC/CNR and virtualization environments.
• Configure, monitor, and manage physical storage and filesystems on LINUX servers.
• Perform hardware and software installations, upgrades, and troubleshooting of OS, provisioning, email and web based applications.
• Bachelor’s degree in MIS, CS or related discipline.
• 2- 5 years experience with RHEL, CentOS, or Fedora system administration in an enterprise environment
• 2 years experience with VMWare v5 and virtual environments
• 2 years of Windows administration
• Enterprise Technologies (NFS, Kickstart procedures, performance tuning, security)
• Internet server protocols and utilities (DNS, LDAP, SMTP, HTTP/S, TLS, S/FTP, TCP/IP, SSH, iptables)
• Troubleshooting and problem solving skills with little supervision (email, network, hardware, OS)
• Management and troubleshooting of Zimbra, Sendmail, Postfix, or similar mail server.
• Ability to successfully handle the completion of multiple concurrent assignments or related support mechanisms for escalation/resolution purposes
• Understanding of RHEL and/or software based cluster configurations and concepts
• Technical documentation skills
• Shell scripting
• OS Security hardening
• Working knowledge of Nagios, Cacti and Solarwinds
• Performance tuning
• Oracle/MySQL database administration is a plus
Mediacom Communications Corporation - 18 months ago