Under the direction of the Manager of Quality Resources and/or the Director of Quality and Patient Safety, this position is responsible for support and guidance in the development and enhancement of an organized system to monitor, evaluate, and improve the quality and appropriateness of care at UWHC. The incumbent serves as a change agent to drive improvement activities in real time, and is results and action-oriented with a keen focus on superior service to customers. The incumbent advises medical staff and other clinicians regarding effective methods to measure and improve clinical performance, and benchmarks with other healthcare organizations in the process. Using quality management theory and tools, the incumbent assists in the planning, organization, coordination and facilitation of multidisciplinary teams to measurably improve the processes and outcomes of care and service provided at UWHC. The incumbent will perform research and literature reviews as needed to support quality evaluation and improvement initiatives. This position provides consultation in the development and monitoring of the outcomes of performance improvement initiatives, and assists with tracking and reporting those measures to the Safety, Satisfaction and Performance Improvement (SSPI) Committee as appropriate. This individual also facilitates root cause analysis teams and failure modes and effects analyses.
Incumbent performs his/her job demonstrating technical ability, understanding of job expectations and compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
This position provides guidance regarding standards of care as defined by The Joint Commission (TJC) as well as other regulatory agencies.
This position handles a moderate to high level of complex factors in the assessment of the quality of care delivered to UWHC patients. This position must deal with highly confidential information and interpret quality of care from a variety of standards: TJC, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and specialty physician professional organizations (e.g., American Society for Anesthesiologists, American College of Surgeons). Compliance with such standards are incorporated into health care quality improvement initiatives as appropriate.
The incumbent works primarily independently with general supervision from the department Manager and/or Director. This person works closely with a variety of medical staff and hospital personnel to obtain critical information for the determination of appropriate care.
The Health Systems Engineer is expected to have knowledge and experience in all aspects of the UWHC Quality Improvement function and possesses and applies a broad knowledge of principals, practices, and procedures of the Quality Improvement field to complete assignments.
1. Bachelors degree in Industrial engineering or equivalent required.
2. Masters Degree in Industrial Engineering in progress preferred.
3. One (1) year of Quality Improvement related (includes intern) experience required.
4. Some hospital/healthcare experience required.
5. Knowledge of and experience with health systems improvement models, tools, techniques, etc.
6. Knowledge of and experience with statistical data analysis
7. Experience in facilitating successful teams
8. Knowledge of TJC standards and regulatory compliance issues.
9. Demonstrated capabilities with Windows based software applications in addition to analytical and statistical software.
10. Knowledge of disease classification systems such as ICD9-CM and professional billing classifications such as CPT-4, and other current classifications systems, etc
11. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
12. Physical Requirements: Sedentary: Ability to lift up to 10 pounds maximum and occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as dockets, ledgers and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one, which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and other sedentary criteria are met.
This is a Non-Represented position and falls into Pay Grade 6. The salary range begins at $43,004 per year. Education, experience, tenure and internal equity may be taken into consideration when job offers are extended.
Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
This position is in the "Authority Non-Rep" Benefits package. UWHC employees enjoy competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefit package.
- Vacation (15 days) // (Pro-rated for part-time employees)
- Legal Holidays (9 days) // (pro-rated for part-time employees)
- Sick Leave (12 days/year) // (pro-rated for part-time employees)
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Retirement (covered in the Wisconsin Retirement system on day 1)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Worker's Compensation
- Tax-Sheltered Annuities (TSA)
- Employee Reimbursement Accounts (ERA)
While every attempt has been made to provide up-to-date, accurate information, the legal documents, policies, and contracts will prevail in the event of any discrepancy. The above information applies to regular (Permanent) employees.
For addition information, please look on the uwhealth.org website in the careers section.
Contact Amy Langenohl for more information at ALangenohl@uwhealth.org or at 608-265-8897.
Who We Are...
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics is a 566 bed facility that ranks among the finest academic medical centers in the United States. Frequently cited in publications listing the nation's best health care providers, UW Hospital and Clinics is recognized as a national leader in fields such as cancer treatment, pediatrics, ophthalmology, surgical specialties and organ transplantation.
UW Hospital and Clinics offers:
-More than 900 active medical staff and more than 80 outpatient clinics.
-Six intensive care units (trauma and life support, pediatric, cardiac, cardiothoracic, burn, neurosurgery) with 83 total beds .
-Nine satellite locations .
-One of only two organizations in Wisconsin with designated level One Adult and Pediatric trauma centers.
How to Apply
Please use the "Apply Now" button found at the top and bottom of this page.