Stony Brook University has established itself as one of America's most dynamic public universities, a center of academic excellence and a leader in health education, patient care and research. Listed among the top 1 percent of all universities in the world by Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Stony Brook is home to more than 24,000 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff, including those employed at Stony Brook Medicine, Long Island's premier academic medical center and teaching hospital. With 597 beds, Stony Brook Hospital is the region's only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory.
Descriptive Title: Senior Education Specialist
Budget Title: same as above
Research Foundation Professional Position
Department: Dean's Office, School of Medicine
RF Line#: R0295
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary: $65,000 - $80,000
Required Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Education, Instructional Technology, or a related field. Three years of full time progressively responsible experience in a higher education environment, specifically related to the planning, developing, and delivering of faculty affairs and faculty development services. Ability to work effectively with multiple and diverse stakeholders. Organizational and time management skills sufficient to handle multiple tasks, manage multiple projects, prioritize workload, and meet deadlines. A thorough knowledge of instructional technologies, learning and digital resources as well as an extensive knowledge in sound pedagogical practices as they relate to teaching and learning with adult-learners. Ability to perform scholarly activities, such as publication/presentation of educational and/or training materials. Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree or higher in Education, Instructional Technology or a related field (PhD is highly preferred). In addition, two years of work experience in a higher education environment to include medical school experience, specifically related to the planning, developing, and delivering of faculty affairs and faculty development services.
Brief Description of Duties: The Senior Education Specialist will report directly to the Vice Dean of Faculty Affairs (VDoFA). The selected candidate will:
- Support the various on-going events and programs offered through the Office of Faculty Affairs including: New Faculty Orientation, Women in Medicine, Leaders in Medical Education Program, and the Faculty Mentoring Program.
- Plan, develop, and deliver professional development opportunities including workshops, retreats, and other special events for faculty members as they adopt new teaching strategies, designs, and redesigned courses, and integrate technology into instruction.
- Provide relevant materials and resources to foster the career advancement of our faculty members.
- Write grant proposals, journal manuscripts, human research protocols, and progress reports that advance the activities of the Office of Faculty Affairs.
- Manage and adapt/develop surveys that assess the needs and evaluate the effectiveness of faculty affairs related services and activities.
- Collect and analyze relevant data to create regular reports for the VDoFA and other stakeholders.
- Support the work of the VDoFA in Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure.
- Facilitate the annual faculty review process.
- Perform any additional duties as assigned.
Special Notes: This is a full-time position, 37.5 hours per week 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Research Foundation of SUNY is a private educational corporation. Employment is subject to the Research Foundation policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines and the availability of funding. FLSA exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Travel will be required to attend conferences.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Stony Brook University
- 2 years ago - save job