Reports To: Senior Network Engineer
Department: Information Technology
Office Location: Charles Town, WV
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Posted: January 1, 2013
Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The OnBase Network/Systems Administrator will work in a highly collaborative team environment to install, maintain and configure the American Public University System network and servers. The qualified candidate will have experience working in a Windows/Citrix environment as well as experience maintaining OnBase configuration and administration. This position requires travel between our main Information Technology facility in Charles Town, WV as well as several other locations throughout the Washington DC Metro area.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Installs, configures and maintains the University network and Windows 200X-based servers and file storage servers.
- Works in a team environment to support applications development and production systems operations including: backup to database administration, voice, systems administration and help desk.
- Maintains network and server infrastructure including: routers, switches, network appliances such as load balancers and firewalls, Windows servers and security infrastructure.
- Provides support for production enterprise environments located in Charles Town, WV and co-location facilities, and provides support for our disaster recovery site and other branch offices.
- Implements, manages and troubleshoots servers including backup servers and their operating systems and software.
- Implements, manages and troubleshoots all network hardware and equipment including: routers, switches and uninterruptible power supplies.
- Administers and maintains end user accounts, permissions and access rights.
- Manages updates, patches and upgrades to ensure system availability.
- Monitors and measures performance and costs through regular reporting and systems summaries including availability, usage and capacity updates.
- Recommends, schedules and performs network improvements, upgrades and repairs.
- Anticipates, mitigates, identifies, responds to and resolves problems affecting server performance, efficiency and availability.
- Implements new hardware and software projects and provides documentation and procedures based on functionality of the environment.
- Assists in developing enterprise network and server solutions per requirements including the creation of functional requirement documents, project plans and detailed implementation plans.
- Ensures 24x7x365 availability for identified internal mission critical network services.
- Develops and documents instructions and guidelines to perform the functions assigned.
- Performs backup, recovery and archiving duties.
- Provides backup support to other Network Engineers, Systems Engineers, Voice and PC Technicians.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Normal office and data center environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Must be able to lift boxes up to 50 pounds.
- Must be flexible and agile enough to access tight spaces in telephone closets and around furniture.
- Requires travel to data centers and branch offices at locations in the DC Metro area.
- Must be available to work in a rotating on call schedule after core business hours.
- Ability to work in a fast paced team environment to support applications development, production systems operations and to perform network and service infrastructure updates.
- Ability to maintain a high level quality service approach within the work area to ensure customer satisfaction, system integrity, system performance and security.
- Strong knowledge of Windows Administration (2003/2008).
- Knowledge of SQL, including administration and query writing.
- Strong knowledge of Active Directory.
- Strong knowledge of Terminal Server/Citrix environments.
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures within network administration.
- Associate degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field required.
- Minimum three years of experience working in a Microsoft/Cisco environment which includes some exposure to virtualization technologies required.
- Minimum three year experience with Onbase configuration and administration preferred.
- Familiarity working with Dell hardware and EMC storage preferred.
- Experience working in a for-profit environment preferred.
- Preferred certifications: MSCE, A+, I-NET+, CCNA, completion of Hyland training track.
- Helpful certifications: CCNP, CCIE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE+I.