Responsible for leading American Indian cultural diversity education/training services in support of the CMS-funded three-year enterprise wide initiative, One Care. The incumbent will contribute to developing a culturally-informed, integrated primary and behavioral health care model by focusing on providing American Indian perspectives to the curriculum development process, leading training sessions during implementation and providing ongoing mentoring and consulting to health care professionals in clinics. Advise on the effective integration of traditional healing to serve our American Indian patient needs more effectively as part of the broader initiative to integrate primary and behavioral health care. Coordinates a variety of individualized or community focused activities that are designed to enhance healthcare for the multicultural populations within the Sanford Health Catchment Area. * This position is funded by a healthcare innovation award. The expected position duration would be three years.
Education, Experience, & Skills (Minimum Requirement):
High School graduate or equivalent is required. Post-secondary education is desired, but not required. Evidence of an apprenticeship with a trained Traditional Healer/Counselor is highly preferred. Must have a minimum of one year of experience as a traditional healer. The ability to effectively communicate in English, Ojibwe, and/or Lakota languages verbally and in writing is required. A healthcare related background is also preferred. The ability to work with a wide-range of individuals with diverse backgrounds in a culturally respectful manner is required. Must have exceptional public speaking and presentation skills and posses the ability to convey information to large audiences. Must have significant knowledge of Native American healing practices, ceremonial systems, cultural practices, beliefs, counseling methods and behavioral development especially as they relate to traditional Ojibwe and/or Lakota tribal affiliations.
Must possess a valid class D driver's license. Must maintain a good driving record.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Provides traditional counseling services to the unique needs of culturally diverse patient populations across Sanford Health's catchment area are being served through the Sanford One Care initiative. Counsels and promotes healthy lifestyle choices in an effort to minimize and prevent chronic illnesses and disease.
- Functions as a cultural liaison between other healthcare staff and patients and their families, when necessary, to ensure there is a mutual understanding of healthcare needs/treatment options. Provides interpretation services in a verbal or written manner.
- Serves in a consultant role as needed to provide knowledge on native healing practices as well as other culturally specific beliefs relating to healthcare.
- Prepares, documents, and facilitates education/training sessions on Native American medicine and Native American culture as it relates to healthcare to patients, community members, staff members.
- Collaborates with other health care team members and community agencies to provide optimum care of clients and promotes positive public relations for the Sanford Health system.
South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation
- 2 years ago - save job