The Collections Division / Outside Collection Agency (OCA) Unit is seeking an experienced, highly organized and motivated person to serve as the Unit Director to be responsible for the resolution of debt, including taxes and fines that are owed to the City of New York. The selected candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to, the implementation of rules, standards and policies in reference to securing and monitoring new and existing contracts, especially contracts pertaining to collection agencies, booting and the Financial Data Matching Program; program management, placement allocation and scoring, dispute resolution, information and exchange and quality assurance.
Additional duties and responsibilities include:
Minimum Qual Requirements
- Gather data and perform basic analysis of multiple factors as they pertain to the specific program
- Establish and maintain liaison with internal and external stakeholders, ensuring effective communication of the Unit’s policies and procedures
- Ensure proper internal audits and controls are in place for issuance of commission payments, case assignments and recalls
- Propose new and/or revised strategies for improving operations and streamlining review processes
- Plan, manage and report regular status updates for projects to meet delivery deadlines
- Develop tools to measure programs “net back” (similar to Champion Challenger model)
- Prepare management reports, defining and evaluating performance issues and solutions
1. A master's degree from an accredited college in economics, finance, accounting, business or public administration, human resources management, management science, operations research, organizational behavior, industrial psychology, statistics, personnel administration, labor relations, psychology, sociology, human resources development, political science, urban studies or a closely related field, and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: working with the budget of a large public or private concern in budget administration, accounting, economic or financial administration, or fiscal or economic research; in management or methods analysis, operations research, organizational research or program evaluation; in personnel or public administration, recruitment, position classification, personnel relations, employee benefits, staff development, employment program planning/administration, labor market research, economic planning, social services program planning/evaluation, or fiscal management; or in a related area. 18 months of this experience must have been in an executive, managerial, administrative or supervisory capacity. Supervision must have included supervising staff performing professional work in the areas described above; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and four years of professional experience in the areas described in "1" above, including the 18 months of executive, managerial, administrative or supervisory experience, as described in "1" above.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel and Access preferred
- Detail-oriented with strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Effective leadership and coaching skills
- Experience with Fairtax, STARS, CACS, NYCSERV is a plus
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Click the "Apply Now" button
Unless otherwise indicated, all positions require a five day work week.
59 Maiden Lane*
- Current location but could be subject to change.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
NYC Careers - 14 months ago