The Linux Administrator is member of the APMG IT Infrastructure team within the Technology & Operations department of American Public Media | Minnesota Public Radio and reports to the Director of APMG IT Infrastructure. The Linux Administrator is responsible for ensuring the highest level of performance and uptime associated with a Linux environment, for all internal and external customers of APM|MPR. This position provides secondary support for Storage Area Networks (SAN).
Required Education and Experience:
- Administration and support of the Linux Red Hat/CentOS server environment, including Apache, Tomcat, MySQL, PHP, and related platforms.
- Administrate and support backup and recovery infrastructure, including NetBackup, Hitachi AMS storage arrays and StorageTek tape libraries.
- Provide secondary support of storage infrastructure, including Hitachi AMS storage arrays, Brocade switches, McData switches, and NetApp V-Series.
- Capacity analysis and planning across the server environment.
- Develop system level documentation and standard operating procedures.
- Ensure systems comply with best practices related to internet security and intrusion detection.
- Maximize system performance by monitoring, troubleshooting, upgrading, and collaborating with other members of the team.
- Provide relief support to other functional areas of the IT Infrastructure team, including the Microsoft server environment and network infrastructure.
- Maintain excellent customer relations and keep customers informed on project/problem status.
- Proactively review appropriate systems technologies and propose initiatives to improve/resolve.
- Work with vendors for product information and design, pricing, and support escalation.
- Complete all support assignments on time and within budget.
- Provide on-call systems administration technical support.
- Provide IT departmental budget input as requested.
- Any additional duties as required.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent experience.
- Five or more years of Linux server implementation and support.
- Three or more years of experience with Apache and Tomcat.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Expert with Red Hat/CentOS.
- In-depth knowledge of IP and DNS, as related to both the internet and intranets.
- Excellent ability to communicate both written and verbal, in a highly customer service focused environment.
- Ability and desire to learn new technology.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Interest in and knowledge of mission-driven non-profit organizations.
Reporting To This Position: None
- Knowledge of web content management systems.
- Experience with Akamai or other Content Distribution Network (CDN).
- Knowledge of system configuration management (SCM).
- Knowledge and experience with Active Directory Integration.
- Working knowledge of Storage Area Networks (SAN).
- Working knowledge of database management, backup and security.
- Knowledge of version control systems such as CVS, Subversion, and Git.
- Working knowledge of ITIL or ITSM.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
oRequired to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Some travel may be required
- Must be able to be on call 24/7, with adequate 24 hour transportation
- Physical Demands:
oRequired to move about in the community
oReach with hands and arms
oRequired to work outdoors at times
oFrequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
oRequired to lift up to 50 pounds
oModerate noise level
oOccasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
American Public Media - 30+ days ago
American Public Media is the nation's second-largest producer of public radio programs, reaching more than 15 million listeners nationwide...