The NYPR System Administrator will be responsible for the configuration, implementation and maintenance of Linux-based systems and applications for our Web and Business infrastructure running Ubuntu Linux and VMware ESX and providing the necessary support for these environments.
The ideal candidate will have experience in an environment similar to NYPR where the majority of the Web servers are hosted, all development is handled in house.
- Ensure availability for all production systems in a 24/7 web environment.
- Build, manage, maintain and document NYPR’s physical and virtual Linux-based systems, including but not limited to hosted and local production, development, staging and backend services
- Gurantee that backups are created for each service
- Provide system management; application monitoring and alerting, system performance analysis, optimization and tuning
- Works with web development team in the release deployment process.
- Write scripts to enable automation of Sys Admin activities as well as systems monitoring and management
- On-call support
- Cross train IT department staff
- Lead incident response efforts
- Identify and provide automation of repetitive tasks
- Provide technology strategy recommendations to management
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP, UDP and RTP networking and internet protocols
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Working knowledge of Windows Server OS preferred
- Advanced knowledge of current trends in web system administration with a keen eye toward best practices
- Experience with the Linux Ubuntu, Apache, and Cloudkick
- BS Computer Science or equivalent experience, required
- 3+years experience and Linux certified professional preferred
- Experience working with hosting providers required; VMware experience, required
- Experience with our application stack: Python, PostgreSQL, RabbitMQ, Apache, Nginx, Varnish preferred
- Experience in working closely with in house development teams, required
All positions at NYPR require:
- The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively with the senior leadership team, colleagues, staff and external partners and provide motivation at all levels of an organization
- Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds
- Use of a computer, telephone and other office and/or broadcast equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods including but not limited to; email, internet based applications for internal and external communications
- Affinity for New York Public Radio; WNYC and/or WQXR content and mission a plus
- Compliance with WNYC/WQXR policies and guidelines
- Ability to work extended hours as needed
New York Public Radio - 15 months ago