This position provides quality, comprehensive neuropsychological diagnostic testing services for patients with complex conditions. This position trains staff and may provide ongoing supervision for clinical and research cognitive testing activities. This position participates in the design and implementation of neuropsychological testing research.
1. Independently provides quality neuropsychological testing services to patients in inpatient, outpatient and consultation settings by making complex psycho-diagnostic assessments and completing a diagnostic work with complex and difficult patients. Works in consultation with interdisciplinary team members to facilitate differential diagnosis, treatment evaluation, and treatment planning.
2. Administers, interprets, and documents neuropsychological testing of patients, as determined necessary and appropriate, based on the psychological assessment, including but not limited to differential diagnoses, delineation of spared and impaired cognitive functions, establishment of a neuropsychological baseline against which to monitor recovery or progression, and comparison of neuropsychological functioning prior to and following an intervention.
3. May supervise and train staff on the proper methods of cognitive testing. Provides education and training in psychological theory, diagnostic techniques, treatment modalities, and related programs to psychologists, allied disciplines, and personnel in medical, educational, managerial, social, and community programs.
4. Strives to advance clinical skills and knowledge as both a direct service provider and an educator, by actively participating in the training of behavioral health clinicians, as well as by actively participating in continuing education programs per licensure requirements.
5. Participate in interdisciplinary team activities, especially a) continuous quality improvement in ambulatory and/or inpatient services and teaching and b) those activities required to successfully operate a residency and medical school clerkships.
6. May define and implement research and program evaluation oriented to patient care, therapy effectiveness and outcomes. May participate in various research programs, including conduct of cognitive evaluations on research subjects. This may include consulting on the research design and implementation of testing, analysis of data, submission of manuscripts, grant submissions for independent research and collaborations. May also include engaging in research/scholarly activity by effectively determining the strength of evidence in the literature when developing testing methods and other pertinent protocols for use in research protocols.
7. In some assignments, may supervise professional staff.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The essential functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
May supervise Psychometricians, Cognitive Raters
MATRIX OR INDIRECT REPORTING
TYPE OF SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
Full range of employment actions for reporting staff.
Banner Health Leadership will strive to uphold the mission, vision, and values of the organization. They will serve as role models for staff and act in a people-centered, service excellence-focused, and results-oriented manner.
SCOPE AND COMPLEXITY
Responsibility for clinical and research neuropsychological testing within a designated facility/entity, with occasional assignment and/or consultation to other facilities. The position must have the ability to apply advanced professional psychological theories and techniques, and provide neuropsychological and psychological assessments to the most complex of patients seen at this specialty clinic. This position has responsibility for interacting with patients, physicians, residents, students, nurses and staff. The position also interacts with visitors, potential patients, physician consultants, U of A, ASU, various community groups and organizations, third party payors and other external customers. Works with other departments such as Medical Staff Services and other staff.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENT FACTORS
DP - Typical Direct Patient Care environment: (Nutrition Rep, Chaplain, RN)
- Able to stand, walk, bend, squat, reach, and stretch frequently.
- Possess physical agility and adequate reaction time to respond quickly and appropriately to unexpected patient care needs.
- Needs adequate hearing and visual acuity, including adequate color vision.
- Requires fine motor skills, adequate eye-hand coordination, and ability to grasp and handle objects.
- Able to use proper body mechanics to assist patients in ambulating, transferring in and out of bed, chair or wheelchair.
- May be required to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Must use standard precautions due to threat of exposure to blood and bodily fluids.
- Needs ability to communicate effectively through reading, writing, and speaking in person or on telephone.
- May require periodic use of personal computer.
Ph.D. in Psychology with fellowship training in Neuropsychology, from an accredited college or university whose curriculum in psychology is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA), must have completed an APA approved internship and a post-doctoral training in neuropsychology.
Licensure by applicable state boards of Psychologist Examiners is required, as well as at least five years experience with specialized neuropsychological testing. Candidate will be board certified in clinical neuropsychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology or pursuing this credential.
Requires at least five years experience with specialized neuropsychological testing. Candidate must be eligible for appointment to affiliate with the medical staff at assigned facility or work unit. Requires experience teaching and supervising clinical staff and therapists, and familiarity with research methodology. Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills are required for patient care activities including documentation, supervision of others, presentations and conduct of teaching activities. Considerable reading and comprehension of printed, typed and handwritten material are necessary.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Banner Health - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
If you thrive on change and you’re looking to be part of the future of health care, you belong at Banner Health.