Final filing date: 5:00pm, Friday, April 5, 2013 (Supplemental Questionnaire Required)
Tentative Oral Board Interview Date: Week of April 29, 2013
About the Position
This classification is responsible for performing technical civil engineering work in the office and in the field. The Civil Engineering Technician is assigned specific engineering projects and works in the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department.
The Civil Engineering Technician applies technical civil engineering knowledge and skills to public works projects and infrastructure.
Reports to the City Engineer; is not responsible for any direct supervision but does indirectly supervise contractors.
· Performs a variety of technical civil engineering functions including design, drafting, plan checking, issuing permits, and inspecting.
· Prepares or assists in the preparation of specifications, plans, estimates and reports pertaining to the construction, maintenance and operation of a variety of engineering projects and infrastructure.
· Performs design and drafting duties in connection with street, sewer, storm drain, traffic facilities, park and other Public Works projects.
· Assists in administering routine public works projects; estimates contract quantities and prepare estimates; obtains informal bids; inspects projects; reviews construction change order requests; and processes payments.
· Provides field inspection of public and private civil improvement projects, including grading, underground utilities, encroachments, curbs, gutters, sidewalk, paving and park construction; ensures conformance to approved plans and specifications; requires correction of defective work; recommends approval of acceptable work.
· Provides information regarding existing public works infrastructure to satisfy inquiries from staff developers and citizens.
· Issues notices to correct violations of public works codes and standards and recommends action to the Senior Engineer if corrections are not made.
· Reviews various plans, maps and permit applications submitted for private improvement projects for accuracy, completeness, and a reasonable standard of care; ensures compliance with local and state standards.
· Represents the Department of Public Works with developers, architects, engineers, contractors and the general public; provide information and assistance; interprets and explains City Ordinances, standards, procedures and policies.
· Computes appropriate fees and annual charges for engineering permits, plan checks, sewer and storm drain usage and related functions, issues permits.
· Disseminates, modifies, and maintains Public Works records, maps, files, databases and associated GIS base map.
· Investigates resident complaints; coordinates with property owners regarding project schedules, hazards and inconvenience
Ideal Candidate: Job-Related and Essential Qualifications
Knowledge of the basic principles and practices of civil engineering as related to the design of a wide variety of public works projects; basic land surveying principles and practices; drafting techniques, terminology, methods and instruments; street, grading, sewer and storm drainage construction and materials, methods and techniques; construction plans and specifications; applicable laws, regulations, codes and department policies regarding assigned technical civil engineering duties; approved standards of safety as related to assigned projects.
Ability and skills to analyze data and a variety of problems, determining options and using engineering methodology. Reading plans, specifications and maps. Performing technical civil engineering plan reviews, routine civil engineering drafting work, and preparing and maintaining accurate engineering records. Working effectively as part of a group or team; securing the cooperation of construction contractors and developers. Preparing reports and maintaining records, logs and databases; making mathematical calculations and accurate engineering computations and drawings; making oral and written presentations for professional meetings with consultants, contractors, staff and project teams. Dealing tactfully and effectively with others to provide excellent customer service to the public, and other City employees. Operating standard office equipment including printer/photocopier, facsimile machine and personal computer; knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, permitting, maintenance management; customer service, GIS and computer aided drafting software. Adapting approved engineering methods and standards to the design and construction of a variety of public works projects. Travel to various and remote sites within the city; follow complex written or verbal instructions and procedures; work alone in or close proximity to others; operate motor vehicle or motorized equipment; communicate over telephone or two-way radio and work occasional overtime and irregular hours.
Speak clearly and understandably. Ability to read and hear voices and telephones. Visual acuity to quickly and accurately review and interpret plans and diagrams and make inspections. Ability to inspect construction sites requiring physical flexibility and dexterity, including the ability to continually stand, bend, stoop, reach, crouch and climb. Normal color vision required .
Education and Training
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited two-year certificate program in computer-aided design, civil engineering technology or construction management and four years of full-time, experience in a civil engineering office performing surveying, construction management and/or drafting.
Bachelor's degree and Engineer In Training (EIT) Certification desirable.
*PERS Retirement: 2% @ 55 for "classic members" or 2% @ 62 for "new members" as defined by CalPERS
*The City of San Carlos participates in Social Security
*Employee & family medical insurance and dental reimbursement plan; employee vision insurance
*City-paid $100,000 basic life insurance, accidental death & dismemberment, and long-term disability insurance
*Voluntary Deferred Compensation Plan 457(b)
*Flexible Spending Plans (Medical and Dependent Care)
*Employee Assistance Program
*12 – 25 vacation days/year; 12 sick days/year, 10 paid holidays/year, up to 40 hours float leave/year
CalOpps.org - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard