Ensure safe, on-time/on-plan train operation and movement in compliance with company and Federal rules and instructions.
Essential Job Functions
The statements in this section are essential job functions that an employee must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation in order to achieve the objectives of the job. In this regard, please note that the description is generic and represents a composite across like position
assignments. There may be position specific differences related to geography, available technology, work force levels, incumbent seniority level, etc. which should be clarified in individual situations.
- Responsible for train operation and movement. Includes:
- Operate locomotive equipment including through the use of a remote control device.
- Perform hostler operations of operating locomotives between various shop locations, service tracks and switching areas.
- Pushing, pulling, lifting, and carrying up to 25 pounds frequently, 50 pounds occasionally, and assisting in the infrequent movement of weights of up to 83 pounds.
- Applying and releasing hand brakes.
- Riding rail cars and climbing onto equipment.
- Applying bilateral use of upper extremities when needed, such as maintaining a grip with both hands.
- Maintaining balance and coordination on stairs, ladders, uneven terrain, moving equipment, rails, and ballast.
- Maintaining three-point contact when holding on a ladder or train.
- Removing, replacing, and carrying knuckles and aligning drawbars.
- Following safety precautions.
- Reading and comprehending regulations and instructions.
- Preparing written documentation and materials.
- Working and interacting with others.
- Inspecting the conditions and operations of equipment and machines and making adjustments (may require bending or stooping).
- Monitoring, observing, interpreting, and relaying signals and placards to gather and communicate information.
- Analyzing and troubleshooting problems to identify solutions or alternatives.
- Monitoring the situation, environment, and gauges to gather information and take appropriate action (requires ability to recognize sounds and changes in sounds and requires color vision, the ability to detect and interpret visual stimuli, day and night, at near and far distances, including hand signals, printed material text, and the speed and distance of moving objects).
Required Education, Training, Experience or Skills:
- Communicating clearly with co-workers and train dispatchers via radio.
- In the past 36 months from the date of this application, you must have not had any of the following related to alcohol or drugs: driving convictions completed state actions, or suspensions or revocations of driver's license
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Applicants for this position must pass a pre-employment test in English before being allowed to interview. The number of candidates who pass the test and will be granted an interview is based upon hiring needs. If you have taken this test and failed within the last six months, you will not be eligible to apply for this position. Click here to see a sample of the reading test.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers, supervisors and/or customers and effectively handle conflict situations
- Ability to speak English in a clear, concise manner in order to communicate with coworker(s) and supervisor(s)
- Authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
Preferred Education, Training, Experience or Skills:
- Physical Ability: Ability to apply muscular strength, power, flexibility, aerobic capacity, range of motion, and endurance in the performance of the physical requirements of the job. Click here for a description of the Physical Abilities Test
- Active Listening: Attending to and understanding key pieces of spoken information (e.g., from dispatchers, co-workers, etc.).
- Reading Comprehension: Reading and understanding standard written text of a nontechnical nature. This includes the ability to read text, identify major points, and draw conclusions.
- Manual Dexterity: Ability to make quick, accurate, skillful, and coordinated hand movements to grasp, place, or move objects.
- Reaction Time: Ability to respond or react quickly to a situation using a single movement of the hands, arms, or legs.
- Stress Tolerance: Working productively and effectively when faced with stressful working conditions.
- Using Common Sense: Making safe decisions based on sound judgment.
- Safety Orientation: The willingness to practice safe work habits.
- Teamwork: Working well with others in groups, cooperating with others, and offering to help when needed.
- Work Orientation: The willingness to make a meaningful contribution to work.
- On a post-offer basis, Union Pacific will conduct an investigation into newly hired and transferred employees regarding their past employment, state and federal criminal history, military history, driving history, education, professional license or certification verification if job-related, Social Security number, prior drug history, and other job related information. Individuals must pass a background investigation for employment. Within the past three years, applicants must not have had any of the following related to alcohol or drugs: driving convictions, completed state actions, or suspensions or revocations of driver's license. Click here for Union Pacific's policy regarding background investigations.
- Employment with Union Pacific is contingent upon the successful completion of a medical examination for newly hired or transferred employees. The medical examination includes a drug screen, a color vision exam, and a medical assessment to ensure that candidates can safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. In addition, the company conducts for-cause, post-accident, and random drug and alcohol testing of its employees.
- United Transportation Union.
- Union membership initiation fee and monthly dues or assessments are required as per the collective bargaining agreement.
- There is a probationary period which is governed by the collective bargaining agreement based on territory
- These positions are governed by a collective bargaining agreement. Membership to the respective labor union is required
- Must wear personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety boots, hard hats, and hearing protection where the company requires.
- Not a typical 40-hour-a-week opportunity.
- Variable and irregular work hours, with irregularly scheduled days off.
- Travel and be away from home for several days at a time.
- "On-call" basis, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Typically report to work 90 minutes after notification.
- Work weekends and holidays.
- Work outdoors, regardless of weather conditions.
- Occasional work 12 feet or more above the ground.
- The pay rate for this position is set by the union agreement and cannot be individually negotiated.
- Must have zero work related safety violations in the past two years
- Applicants receiving a conditional job offer must pass a color vision assessment to ensure they are able to distinguish among red, blue, green and yellow colors, and be able to see at night.
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). Must practice safe work habits to prevent on the job accidents and injuries. Must utilize all protective equipment assigned
- Compliance with the applicable attendance policy is an essential function of this position
- Must be willing and able to work around large equipment such as railcars, locomotives and cranes
- Job applicants who have previously interviewed for this position regardless of geographical location can only reapply for this position after a period of six months has elapsed from the date of the interview
- Please apply only to those locations where you are prepared to live and work.
- Union Pacific is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace
Union Pacific - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard
Union Pacific Corporation (UPC) is engaged in the transportation business. The Company’s operating company, Union Pacific Railroad...